RD 125 DX '81 - where can I get the brake reservoir lid?

Mastiff
This post is 4845 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

There's a crack in the corner of the lid of my son's 125 DX, and it's leaking a drop of fluid every day. I tried to search for both cover and lid on eBay, but I couldn't find anything. Can somebody tell me the best place to get something like that? The bike has never been sold in Norway, so parts have to be imported specially. And parts in Norway, especially for rare bikes, are hysterically expensive! So I would appreciate a tip on that.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i bought a NOS one from the US for mine... the one which is on is not too bad just abit aged but no cracks... if i decide to just stick with the old one i will let you know...

I better check that its right for your bike first as it was advertised as rd125/200 and is the flat type with 4 screws..

That would be much appreciated! Even the old one's probably a lot better than what I have, so I would buy that. It is the version with four screws, not two btw.

You didn't buy the reservoir itself at the same time? I am considering changing that as well...

i do have one on a junked master cylinder... its discoloured and could probs do with a clean but its intact and no splits or cracks in it...

use a digital vernier caliper and measure the the distance between opposite screw holes.. from centre to centre and it needs to be accurate as the difference between a 125 and 200 lid is very small indeed... i will check with the ones i have to see if they are same

I don't have a digital version, only the old fashioned analogue version. But I'll take the chance, I'm guessing that my odds are pretty good. :) Do you have PayPal, so I can pay you there?

Also is that junked master cylinder junked because you found something better or because it was faulty? I think maybe changing the full master cylinder (perhaps using a fix kit on it) would be the easiest way to do this, since the clamps are quite ugly on this bike after crash some time during it's live cycle.

i only junked it because i couldnt get the damn circlip out to replace the piston and seals etc... i have never used it on a bike so cant vouch for its functionality to be honest.. it came on a donor bike i got and was attched to the bars so it probs works but cant guarantee it..

the piston moves freely in it so its not siezed but it is tatty paint wise...i will let you know when i sort out whats what mate

Sounds like something I could use, but of course I do hate to paint... ;) Still if you will let me have it cheap with the lid it's worth a shot. I'll wait and see what you find out.

I just found out that Yambits had the 125 LC master cylinder with all mounting hardware for around 50 quid (didn't see that anywhere on eBay yesterday so I didn't think they had anything like that). I have sent them a message to see if they have/can get anything similar for the DX, and for what price. I'll let you know what they answer. :)

By the way maybe it's possible to us the LC master cylinder assembly on the DX? I know it wouldn't be completely historically correct, but still... ;)

Edit: Yambits didn't have the correct cylinder, and they could not recommend the use of a non standard brake part, as they said. I can understand that, better safe than sorry. Wish I had the specifics of them so I could se if the pressure was the same.

Canny lad, did you find out anything? My son's getting impatient... ;)

If not, does anybody know where I can get at least the lid or preferably the full assembly? The bike model has never been sold in Norway, so there are no parts here. And I have followed eBay a couple of weeks on this (both UK and US), and there hasn't been anything like that up yet. :(

Thanks! I think I will get one from Canny Lad, but it's good do have spares of a part like that because it will probably be more and more difficult to get as time goes by. :)

Not that easy. None of them had the master cylinder/reservoir/lid. So I guess that is not plan C. But I realized that I can probably get this thing on the road sooner than I feared. I have a 1990 RD 350 that isn't used at the moment, and I'm pretty sure I can fit the master cylinder from that on the handlebars. I probably won't have breaking lights for now, but I instruct him to use both front and rear brakes at the same time anyway, and I will be driving behind him. It's worth a shot!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online