Virago xv125

motiztab
This post is 5631 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi to all.

New to the site so please can you put up with me!

Just got hold of a xv125 for the other half to learn on and keep me company when out on my Triumph, when she pass's the test will be looking at things like the Dragstar or Virago range of mid range size bikes as she is a bit short in the leg department!

Anyway I have a couple of questions regarding the xv125.

1 Do you have to move the engine to change the Oil, been looking at it and cannot see how the drain plug will come out as it's very tight regarding space and clearance to the bottom frame tube?

2 Carb Icing, as the bike is an import, think a Japanese Home Market one is this something that happens in South England, did not think it was cold enough here.

3 Is there a difference in carbs between the UK market and Japan

4 The clutch leaver has a electrical loom coming from it but it has no switch at the side stand so it would be possible to ride with the stand down!

5 When the bike is running and its got a bit of heat in the engine the choke lever cannot be moved, does it have some sort of heat sensor attached to the carb.?

6 How is the bike resisted are it via inlet/exhaust or just in the ECU/ignitor box, looking to gain some low down power gains if possible.

7 I can get hold of some Slash Cut Hawk pipes which do not have the large silencer box as per the factory system, worth fitting as far as power gains go or not?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

4 The clutch leaver has a electrical loom coming from it but it has no switch at the side stand so it would be possible to ride with the stand down!

:hi to the Forum Motiztab

The wiring from the clutch lever indicates a switch, so you can start it in gear :wink:

.....& if there's no switch @ the sidestand, then it is possible to ride with the stand down

....which can be easily avoided by proper riding habits. :D

Hi

The wiring from the clutch lever indicates a switch, so you can start it in gear

.....& if there's no switch @ the sidestand, then it is possible to ride with the stand down 

....which can be easily avoided by proper riding habits.

yeh i know that even found it out the hard way years ago, just don't want to see her learn it the hard way!

:hi

I am not very technical so I hope you can understand me

I have the 535 I had to take the foot peg off and the bar and also the clutch thing you know the bit you adjust to change gear on mine, but do the filter and strainer at the same time as changing the oil or you have to do it all again. The virago's had a lot of probs with the carbs freezing and they started to put heaters on them about 1989 I think, but not sure about the 125

• 3 years later...

Hi to all.

Just got hold of a xv125 for the other half to learn on and keep me company when out on my Triumph, when she pass's the test will be looking at things like the Dragstar or Virago range of mid range size bikes as she is a bit short in the leg department!

1 Do you have to move the engine to change the Oil, been looking at it and cannot see how the drain plug will come out as it's very tight regarding space and clearance to the bottom frame tube?

2 Carb Icing, as the bike is an import, think a Japanese Home Market one is this something that happens in South England, did not think it was cold enough here.

5 When the bike is running and its got a bit of heat in the engine the choke lever cannot be moved, does it have some sort of heat sensor attached to the carb.?

6 How is the bike resisted are it via inlet/exhaust or just in the ECU/ignitor box, looking to gain some low down power gains if possible.

7 I can get hold of some Slash Cut Hawk pipes which do not have the large silencer box as per the factory system, worth fitting as far as power gains go or not?

you do NOT have to move the engine, the sump bolt can got to with the side stand down, and a extension bar on your ratchet set, if i remember right its a 21mm nut.

as for carb icing i have not encountered that yet, but there is a carb heater, the sensor is in the chrome dome left hand side under the fuel tank.

i can get 70mph out of my xv125 as for restriction i think its a combination of air filter, carb jets and the ECU. I have made no improvements to mine YET....lol

Bry.

dragon lady

Thats interesting about the heaters as what could be a heater tube or something is position each side of the manifold side of the carb, each have the same colour wire so could be that.

yes i belive they are brown wires fixed on with push connectors. Thats the heater in the carb.

Bry.

1/. My 650 Drag is a bit like that.

I just use a socket with a Universal joint, then extension bar and then the ratchet head.

Helps if you have it upright, or get t'other half to lean the bike right a touch!!

5/. Again, mine does this. You open the choke fully to start on a cold day and after a bit it closes halfway - to minimise over-revving and overheating, I imagine.

7/. Don't think it'll increase power by any noticable amount. Fitting a K&N air filter would probably be better. I always though Cruisers had custom pipes just to make them louder....

• 7 months later...

Hi to all.

4 ...the wire from the clutch lever feeds directly to the safety relay located next to the flasher relay behind right side cover.

Hi to all.

4 ...the wire from the clutch lever feeds directly to the safety relay located next to the flasher relay behind right side cover.

the side stand switch should be part of the side stand assembly, a plunger pushes against the top of the side stand and two blue wires track up behind the horn and are connected by a block connector, if the circuit is open it wont start so check to see if the block with 2 connectors has been shorted. (bridged with a bit of wire) falling that check the wiring on the safety relay, that's where the wires from the , clutch lever, neutral switch, side stand switch go, as well as wires going out to the solenoid,

2 CARB ICING It is not about temperature as such, it is to do with many factors but particularly as fuel vaporizes in the carb it cools so causing any moisture in the air to cool, condense and then freeze. So even on a warm day with moist air you can get carb icing.

Some machines have heaters, electtric or water jackets, older bikes, I'm talking 1905 ish, rely on you being able to warm the carb with your hand.

It can be a particular problem in light aircraft, which have acontrol to divert warm air through the carb to clear the ice

Carb Icing happens when the carb gets too cold.

As you're riding an air-cooled bike, this can and probably will happen especially in Winter.

Even if you do have carb heaters, they're probably crap. Mine are and my bike is a later model than yours.

Silkolene do some fuel additive, of which you just chuck a couple of glugs in the tank when you fill up.

This helps everything run better and minimises carb icing.

I have a bottle at home but keep forgetting to use the bloody stuff!! :D

It should have a switch....

Sit on the bike and lift it level, but leave the stand down.

Start it up, pull in the clutch and click into 1st gear.

It should now stop running, which means the sidestand switch is working.

If it don't do this, swear a couple of times and then contact a reliable mechanic :)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online