XVS 1300 AIRBOX MOD

grey haired git
This post is 4749 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Spurred on by the 02 mod success I have been looking at Yamaha Airbox mods. The usual way is to drill 75, 1/8th holes in the plastic surround. With my drilling skills I decided to try alternatives, I bought 4, 1/4in wide rubber tap washers and longer airbox bolts, cut three pieces of heavy duty foam and fixed them to the inside of the cover to make sure the air filter was still pushed flush to the back surround, put the washers between the chrome cover and the black base and tightened down. This leaves a 1/4 inch air gap around the whole of the airbox. Results... smoother running and best of all the sound is now superb with a real growling noise when accelerating. I realise that if riding in heavy rain you could get a problem but the major part of my riding is now fair weather so with a bit of luck I should be ok. After these two mods the bike now feels right, previously after riding the XVS650 for a few years the move to this machine was not what I expected with the hunting at low speeds and the lack of a smooth pickup on sharp corners and roundabouts. But after the 02 mod and air box, huge difference.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like a good mod - I've been thinking of modding mine but reluctant to do a permanent mod so may well give this a try. Any chance you may be able to post some pics? Also if it's ok with you I may post this on another forum for others to use.

Ride safe,

Graham

Hi Graham, no problem publishing elsewhere. Pictures as promised, they just show the foam on the inside of the cover to make sure the filter is still tight against the back surround. The bolts are 1/4 inch longer than original and the rubber grommets are 3/8 inch tap washers. The visible gap is only small but the sound is far better than normal. Hope the pictures are ok, first time I have uploaded images.

P1020064.JPG

P1020066.JPG

Thanks for the photos - looking good :) I think I'll give that a try this weekend... (I'm guessing there's no issue with clearance against your leg?)

I believe the FI processor re-calibrates for the extra air but let me know if you discover any issue with the plug.

Graham

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online