Help - Thundercat rev counter problem

Floydthedog
This post is 4780 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Yamaha Owners Club having recently passed my test and bought a 2002 Thundercat.

Bike is lovely BUT it's just developed a problem with the rev counter.

Issue is as follows:- Rev Counter now revs to 8K only(on the clock but bike rides ok)and drops back to zero and does this regularly before showing the right revs for a short time then dropping to zero again. Also I have noticed the needle moves to 1K and back to zero. When it does this zero to 1K range the bike has a minor hicup(a sort of miss or jolt).

HELP Please anyone got any idea's of what the problem could be as it's now becoming a pain.

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Yamaha Owners Club having recently passed my test and bought a 2002 Thundercat.

Bike is lovely BUT it's just developed a problem with the rev counter.

Issue is as follows:- Rev Counter now revs to 8K only(on the clock but bike rides ok)and drops back to zero and does this regularly before showing the right revs for a short time then dropping to zero again. Also I have noticed the needle moves to 1K and back to zero. When it does this zero to 1K range the bike has a minor hicup(a sort of miss or jolt).

HELP Please anyone got any idea's of what the problem could be as it's now becoming a pain.

Cheers

Floyd, make sure you go to the newbies section and do a full intro...we like the noobs to do this.

As for your problem, i'd sy 90% that is a TPS fault. Loads of Yamahas do this is to show either the TPS [throttle position sensor] is either out of calibration or is faulty. Don't worry that is anything to stop you using it - it's just one less signal for the ECU to read and make adjustments too.

This would also link to the hiccup you are experiencing, though that could be something else.

HTH

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online