xvs 125 bad running at high revs

dan28
This post is 4859 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ok i ve my xvs ages now

i got it off ebay it had this problem when i got it ( i suspect thats why the previous owner sold)

approx half turn of throttle an it struggles to fire i ve cleaned out the carb

an also found an old post on here about the same problem an it says its too do with the vacum effect in the fuel pipes but i ve tried running it in reserve an its still the same

any ideas?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

reserve needs vacume ......(i think)

have you tried it on prime? it just lets the fuel flow.

but the pump should be pumping petrol through ..... <_<

and what colour are ur plugs?

half turn on the throttle is controlled mainly by the carb needle it goes something like:-

1/4 turn = pilot jet

2/4 turn = pilot jet and needle

3/4 turn = needle

full turn = main jet

its sounding like its the mixture ......have you got the original air filter and housing? (cant remember soz :unsure: )

anyway the original setup for the carb should have the "spacer" on the carb needle in the middle.

reserve needs vacume ......(i think)

have you tried it on prime? it just lets the fuel flow.

but the pump should be pumping petrol through ..... <_<

and what colour are ur plugs?

half turn on the throttle is controlled mainly by the carb needle it goes something like:-

1/4 turn = pilot jet

2/4 turn = pilot jet and needle

3/4 turn = needle

full turn = main jet

its sounding like its the mixture ......have you got the original air filter and housing? (cant remember soz :unsure: )

anyway the original setup for the carb should have the "spacer" on the carb needle in the middle.

thanks for replying paul

it does it on a full turn of the throttle too once its had approx half a turn or more thats when its starts to do it but not always straight away

i butchered the original air filter pipe to fit the hyper charger( it did it with the standard filter on too)

i m lost as too what you mean by spacer? when i strpped the carb last time i removed all the jets execpt one as its been rounded an cant be removed

i m buying another carb at week end as i want to fit a slightly bigger jet due to the hyper charger

i m also going to buy an inline fuel filter an some clear fuel hose so i can see whats going on

is there a screw to adjust the mixture?