Would really appreciate some guidance...

Secret Squirrel
This post is 4787 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi ladies and gents,

I've just acquired myself a midnight star (950). It's still at the dealer's so I haven't yet pulled it to bits to check out how much space I have for security pieces.

I was wondering what your opinions are?

Essentially, I'll be using at least 1 Almax IV chain and padlock (maybe 2 for shits and giggles).

I'm also looking for a tracker (maybe mtrack pro). Not bothered about an alarm that would make a noise but bought the Cyclone V3 for its 2 way paging ability (to give me that quick heads up). I found out elsewhere that it wont fit though, so it's gone back.

The advantage of not having an alarm is that a would-be scrote may not bother ripping the bike apart to look for the tracker if they aren't spooked.

I'll also be alpha-dotting the bike to kingdom come. At least then, if they get away with my bike, someone might get locked up.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated (I've scoured the forums here and elsewhere and not found anything that would prepare me for space related issues).

Many thanks,

SS

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello and welcome to the mad house! :blink:

put it this way if someone was going to pinch it then what would happen? it would either be striped down for parts or exported out of the country so best to make it hard to pinch and data dot should help.

the tracker is ok but its sort of pot luck if the coppers get a signal..

im not sure if there out there yet but if you can find one.....have a look at gps tracker that you can access with a pc. iv not seen one myself but with all the gps technology nowadays i cant see why no one has thought of it.

Thanks Paul!

At present, I think I'm going to go for the bike trac system from road angel. I've been comparing these things for ages and it's really tough to find one that does everything I want, as reliably as I want it to!

I also bought a motorbike cover with the datatool logo on. Whilst this is a good visual deterrent (particularly for a bike without a tracker), I'm not sure that it's the best idea for a bike WITH a tracker. My biggest worry is that I fork out a small fortune only to have it removed in 5 minutes. Giving a thief something to look for isn't the smartest tactic...

So far, all the decent trackers with at least GPS and GSM/ GPRS have the ability to view location through a web portal. mtrack isn't as good for this. The most comprehensive is the Scorpio Rlink system, but that system lacks the crucial RF tracking ability (meaning you've lost your bike if it's plonked into a metal shipping container or lorry).

One thing I've noticed is that there isn't a decent resource for motorbike security options on the internet. Often, devices are poorly described and advertised and it's incredibly difficult to compare them.

At present, the plan is now:

- Almax chain

- Possibly bike trac (no point having an alarm. All that matters is that I get notified)

- Alpha dot

Any more advice would be gratefully received!

SS

I'm a bike thief.

Here's what I will do to get your bike...

Type 1: Joyrider.

I will hotwire your bike, screwdriver the ignition or get it going somehow. I will then take your bike for a blast and torch it when I'm done.

I look for: Anything unsecured, usually something fast like a sports bike or, since I'm a 16-year-old scrote, something easy to ride like a 125.

How to stop me: Make the bike immovable, with so much security that it's not worth it. Chain, disclock and perhaps an alarm to scare me off. Immobilisers will slow me down. Covers mean I don't know what your bike is. Trackers may help recover your bike, but you may find a burnt-out wreck by the end of it.

Type 2: Professional thief.

My mates and I will lift your bike into a van, shielded from noise and tracking signals. It will take between 8 and 15 seconds (count that out, right now). I wil then flog it overseas or break it for parts.

I look for: 125s (always a market for those), popular bikes and anything I can break for parts. I don't like unique or heavily customised bikes as they're easily recognised.

How to stop me: You can't, really. Not if I *really* want your bike.

Best you can do is deter me with a combination of securities, hide the bike and make it so much hassle to nick, that we'll go looking for an easier target.

The lowdown:

Chains: Keep the chain WELL OFF the ground (makes using bolt cutters very awkward) and chain it to something immovable like a lamp post. Put the chain through the frame, rather than something that can be removed from the bike (ie the wheel). I'll really need a plasma cutter to get that bitch off!

Immobilisers: Lowers your insurance, but I'm simply lifting the bike up, so that's no use.

Datatag: Marking parts can help as I might be scared of selling stuff on public channels, but who would really ask? Outside of that, I can just flog it at car boot sales and stuff. Cheap and still worth doing, though.

Cover: If I can't see what bike you've got, I probably won't waste time looking.

Disclock: Bit of a bugger. I can still lift the bike, but it's one more hassle.

Alarm: Ah... noise is not good. Draws attention. Plus, it means YOU will know about it and the last thing I need is a pissed-off biker coming at me with a weapon. Ttaskmaster himself can be outside and hurting bike thieves in seconds!!

Security lights or parked somewhere well-lit: Anything that would make my crime easier to see might make me think twice.

Hide the bike: In a secured garage is best. Make sure the door has a lock that prevents the door from being opened. Not the one it came with (I can screwdriver those), but one of those 'doorstop' types that physically prevents the door from opening. Check also that there are no windows or other ways I can easily bash my way in.

Consider also secutity lights and a garage alarm.