Oil Question

yamaha33
This post is 4862 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all,

For years I have been using Motul oil in my '97 YZF 750 RJ. The 5100 stuff. I just took my bike out of long term storage and now see that a gallon of it cost $49! I am thinking about switching to Yamalube (OEM stuff). It is only $35 for a gallon.

Thoughts please?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm guessing this is not really an active forum eh? Does anyone have suggestions for an active Yamaha forum? I used to be part of exupbrotherhood years ago and it was pretty great but I haven't been able to find it on the net anymore.

Can anyone help me out here? I'm guessing this is not really an active forum eh? Does anyone have suggestions for an active Yamaha forum? I used to be part of exupbrotherhood years ago and it was pretty great but I haven't been able to find it on the net anymore.

Hi yamaha33

Providing the motor oil that you use meets or exceeds the relevant standard and grade stated in the bikes hand book (JASO, API, SL, ACEA,)

And the oil used is listed as being suitable for motorcycles with a wet clutch, i.e. not a generic motor oil as used in motorcars, Then any oil should be ok to use,

I personally try not to mix oils from different brands in the same engine and I would not mix synthetics semi-synthetics and mineral oils together,

You will probably find that the cheaper oil will perform just as well as the expensive oil but the cheaper oil will loose its lubricating/cooling/cleaning efficiency faster than the expensive oil.

If I change oil brand to another then I would change the filter also.

Try to do internet searches for oil comparability guides such as this one (http://www.bullenger.no/admin/common/getImg2.asp?Fileid=1882

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online