DT175MX '79 Forks

This post is 4864 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

New Chap on the forum here.

I have a DT175MX (1979) project I'm starting soon with a mate (who bought it as a reminder of his misspent youth !). He stripped it down a few years back full of enthusiasm etc.The fork stanchions were then sent away to be re chromed and the guy promptly went out of business and thats the last we ever saw of them !

So.. First question as we searth the world for replacement tubes or complete forks is - Does anyone know which other year / model forks fit the '79 UK spec DT 175 ? We've seen a few different years etc pop up for sale but never knew diameter / length info to interchange. Anyone know any info so we can widen our search ? Of course if anyones tripping over a mint set of '79 forks in their workshop and wants rid them I'm yer man !

Cheers and thanks.

Dave

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Dave, not year specific all that much. The main thing is there were two types, the european types had their wheel spindle central to the fork tube and the continentals sometimes had a leading axle design. Stick with the european ones. A tip...DTMX's are very popular in France in 125 size...forks are the same though.

We have a forum rule that wanted ads should be only in the wanted forum, membership of a mere £5 would be payable to do that.

Parts are expensive for these bikes now I find, especially here in UK

...Paul

Hi Dave, not year specific all that much. The main thing is there were two types, the european types had their wheel spindle central to the fork tube and the continentals sometimes had a leading axle design. Stick with the european ones. A tip...DTMX's are very popular in France in 125 size...forks are the same though.

We have a forum rule that wanted ads should be only in the wanted forum, membership of a mere £5 would be payable to do that.

Parts are expensive for these bikes now I find, especially here in UK

...Paul

Hi Dave glad to see yet another DT restorer join the forum ,I am also slowly :lol: building up a 175MX. I have 2 pairs of front forks both badly pitted have had to go with the best for time being,nearly all DT forks seem to have bad pitting mainly between the yokes and at £150+ for rechroming a bit of a prob ,they are 31mm dia,I toyed with idea of swaping over to MK1 DT125 Lc front forks as these are cheap better chrome and also have drum brake mount,but they are longer leading axle as Paul mentioned,and also I think 35mmm so you need the yokes which are totaly diff from MX, so this pops up prob remounting clocks etc...

i am going on holiday to Daytona in July, and hope to find something better over there, but even US MX forks seem to have sufferd Rust, must have been a realy crap job when new ? as I have another couple of bikes same vintage with bugger all rust B)

All the best with build and please pop some pics up.

Phil

By the way see Paul as started sighning his name :P

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online