Funny Noises coming from 1976 Yamaha DT400

This post is 4865 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Thank God for a forum like this one for those us of reviving these awesome old bikes. I really appreciate all the help ahead of time guys.

-- OK i recently purchased a DT400 and it supposedly had 700 original miles on it, but it is in really good shape and runs pretty well. I had a buddy drive it home for me due to being in the military and not being able to according to my chain or command, and after a 90 min ride it developed a horrid noise coming from the gearbox/clutch basket area. This noise does not occur when i have the clutch held in, but if i let it out, regardless of gear the noise comes and it sounds like a screeching that changes with the throttle pull. It immediately goes away when i hold in the clutch unless i tip the bike, then it starts to come back if i tip it either side the more i tip the louder it gets. I rode it and the clutch responds fine in every gear, and feels solid. I also changed the fluid but it did not make a difference. I suspect the clutch going out, despite still engaging fine. Anyone have any advice?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi jdogg,

I just went through similar and had to split the case to get at where the noise was coming from. You'll get some help when the sun comes up in Europe I reckon. You could check the clutch plates first if you haven't already but it sounds like that is working ok. Then you might be looking at the bearings in the transmission.

Gordo

Hi jdogg,

I just went through similar and had to split the case to get at where the noise was coming from. You'll get some help when the sun comes up in Europe I reckon. You could check the clutch plates first if you haven't already but it sounds like that is working ok. Then you might be looking at the bearings in the transmission.

Gordo

Thanks DT for the info. I do not like the sound of that one bit. How difficult was it to split the case? I am pretty savvy with this type of stuff, just don;t like to bite off more than I can chew. I plan on pulling the clutch plates out and checking them but after some more thought i concluded it was more likely a bearing issue since the clutch was engaging well.

I'm not qualified to give advice on the case other than maybe I'm similar to you in that I might be a bit handy, like pulling things apart and putting them back together and then sometimes bite off a bit too much. I'm happy to share what I've done and maybe the mistakes too. Anyways, I got my case apart ok and tried to remember where everything goes. I took my time and tried to be really careful. I was a bit nervous about it and to be honest will be relieved when it's all back together. Good thing is I could see how the thing works (well sort of) and I'm ready to put the bits back in. I'm picking up my parts tomorrow and hope to get into it over the weekend......

Aye Jdogg , there is a needle thrust bearing , behind cluch basket, also thrust ball bearing, behind lifter, , do you have a manual ?

Aye Jdogg , there is a needle thrust bearing , behind cluch basket, also thrust ball bearing, behind lifter, , do you have a manual ?

I don't have one yet but i have a website for schematics online. My manual should be coming in the mail in the next few days. I see on the schematics that there is one ball bearing as well as what look like bearings in the clutch basket. Ill be pulling the clutch out in the next day or so, is there anything i should know beforehand or any parts i should buy to replace while im in there like gaskets or anything?

I don't have one yet but i have a website for schematics online. My manual should be coming in the mail in the next few days. I see on the schematics that there is one ball bearing as well as what look like bearings in the clutch basket. Ill be pulling the clutch out in the next day or so, is there anything i should know beforehand or any parts i should buy to replace while im in there like gaskets or anything?

You guys are going to laugh when you hear about this one. So i got my manual in the mail today and saw the fluid level needed to be 32 oz and i filled it all the way up and the sound went away, bike runs like a champ lol. Thanks for the advice anyway, i really apreciate it.

Good news then. That's what I should have checked as well but I'm happy replacing a few bits and pieces while the case is open.

Happy trails.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online