xv535 magneto removal or more to the point non removal

fuff66uk
This post is 4870 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right chaps i need to pick some brains please,my 535 virago has the usual starter problem where it spins and makes a horrible noise but doesn't turn the engine,so i have got a starter clutch repair kit which will cure the problem,but the problem is i can't get the magneto to come off,i have a puller which screws in but it still won't budge,the bolt came out ok but the magneto just won't pull off the crankshaft.Have i missed something silly ?

Thanks in advance

Al

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Right chaps i need to pick some brains please,my 535 virago has the usual starter problem where it spins and makes a horrible noise but doesn't turn the engine,so i have got a starter clutch repair kit which will cure the problem,but the problem is i can't get the magneto to come off,i have a puller which screws in but it still won't budge,the bolt came out ok but the magneto just won't pull off the crankshaft.Have i missed something silly ?

Thanks in advance

Al

Dont know the bike but Haynes says remove rotor (magneto?) bolt and washer, stick a puller and jack it off. Theres a woodruff key in there, but once thats cleared, (it looks like the shaft may be tapered) so it should just slide off. Pentrtating oil down the shaft (let it soak for a while), and some sharp taps on the end of the puller bolt may help to shock it free. Application of a bit of heat could do the trick too.

Dont know the bike but Haynes says remove rotor (magneto?) bolt and washer, stick a puller and jack it off. Theres a woodruff key in there, but once thats cleared, (it looks like the shaft may be tapered) so it should just slide off. Pentrtating oil down the shaft (let it soak for a while), and some sharp taps on the end of the puller bolt may help to shock it free. Application of a bit of heat could do the trick too.

I thought about heating it a little,but wasn't sure if it might damage the magnets ?

I thought about heating it a little,but wasn't sure if it might damage the magnets ?

I suppose its possible that the woodruff may have sheared and the 2 parts could be "welded" together, but thats an absolute worst case scenario.

You dont have to red heat it, a hair dryer or one of those hot air paint strippers should be enough.

The centre screw on your puller is pushing against something solid, and the stator is off, yes?

I suppose its possible that the woodruff may have sheared and the 2 parts could be "welded" together, but thats an absolute worst case scenario.

You dont have to red heat it, a hair dryer or one of those hot air paint strippers should be enough.

The centre screw on your puller is pushing against something solid, and the stator is off, yes?

Yes it's pushing against the end of the crankshaft,the bolt is off