Please help, XJ600 Wont start, Have chexked normal things

Johnathan
This post is 3565 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1996 XJ600 Seca II With 8,000 miles on it. When I got it it tried starting but wouldn't (carbs needed cleaned). Yesterday I spent all day very thoroughly cleaning the carbs, gas tank, petcock, blasted out all the fuel lines. I then reassembled it and tried to start it, I had to try cranking it for almost 20 minutes before finally it started. I rode it about 80 miles last night then parked it. This morning I go out to get on it and it wont start, Ive checked the ignition system and I have good spark on all 4 plugs. Tried jumping it off (in case the brand new battery was weak), didn't help. I definitely have fuel being pumped from the tank into the carbs and its definitely getting to the engine (At one point I pulled the plugs out and they were wet with gas. I have at least some compression on each cylinder (finger over the hole test). The air filter is clean.

The bike has a vance and hines 4 to 1 pipe and slip on, I am unsure if it has been jetted for it or if the previous owner just put it on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank You

Johnathan

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Bit of a late reply Jonathan

The fact it ran the other day suggests to me that things cannot be all that bad? I am wondering if all this trying to start her has washed the bores with fuel and dispersed any oil sealing around the rings thereby losing compression, the finger test is a bit rough and ready. Try squirting some oil in each bore through the spark plug hole, hopefully this will seal the rings for better compression and result in a bit more action.

try manually squirting a small amount of fuel into each cylinder and crank it over, if it fires this should indicate that the ignition and compression are ok.

or, try running it from an auxillary tank, therefore bypassing the petcock and existing gaslines, there may be an air leak in there somewhere even if you have cleaned it thoroughly

............. I definitely have fuel being pumped from the tank into the carbs and its definitely getting to the engine (At one point I pulled the plugs out and they were wet with gas. .........Thank You

Johnathan

try manually squirting a small amount of fuel into each cylinder and crank it over, if it fires this should indicate that the ignition and compression are ok.

:question:

• 3 years later...

Have you checked for spark? That seems the most basic, especially if the plugs are wet. Must have: fuel, air, & spark. You're getting fuel, I assume you have air since you rode it the day before (unless a mouse nested in your airbox over night...it's happened), you need to verify you have spark. Pull a plug, connect it to the wire, lay it on the side of the engine where it's touching for ground and you can see the electrode, hit the start button, and watch to see if it sparks. If it doesn't, check wiring, coils, & ignition box.

Speed racer, your NOT checking the date stamp on the thread mate, this was 3 years ago !

• Like 1

This post is 3565 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.