Starter not turning motor

See-Three
This post is 4532 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

New motorcycle owner here. I Just bought a 1980 Yamaha SR250 last night and everything was working on it until After stalling it a few times :rolleyes: The starter stopped turning to motor, it sounds like it's just spinning freely...

Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks,

Erin

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like the starter isn't engaging, sorry dont know anything about the SR but I'm sure there will be someone on here who does Erin, bide a little more time before you go splitting her ;)

starter clutch rollers have squared off.

i think they are the same as the xs being on the left hand side

Okay, You can call me impatient. I've already taken it apart :rolleyes:

This is probably not recommended, but once I got it apart I disconnected the starter from the chain and gave it some power, the starter seemed to spin just fine. So i hooked it back up to the chain and tried again but this time nothing was spinning although it sounded like the starter motor was...

Are the Starter clutch rollers located behind the big brownish colored gear?

img1254hv.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The simplest test is to put it back together on the bike, without the chain to the starter motor, then turn the big brown gearwheel both ways. One way it should spin freely, the other way it should lock instantly onto the crankshaft - if there's any play at all in that direction, the rollers are fecked and should be replaced.

Had this with my old NX650 Dominator a while back - the rollers looked fine but the outer drum moved just a couple of mm or so before engaging, giving me a nice "Whizzz! .... Whizzz! .... Whizzz! CRUNCH! Start ....". New rollers, no play, no whizzcrunch.

:thumb:

I found what appears to be the cause of the problem. The pin hole in the cap that holds the outer gear in place broke, plus some of the smaller gears got chewed up. Time to find a new starter...

The problem I'm facing now is I cant get the clutch working...Maybe I'll just take it to a shop :rolleyes:

img1265o.jpg

img1268z.jpg

I Ended up drilling a new hole for the pin and cleaning up the gears as best as I could. Everything seems to be working, I just gotta get a new gasket and fill her up will oil to know for sure.

• 11 months later...

Having some problems with my starter,starter clutch or wiring.... Thinking i may have gotten some wiring backwards which is maybe causing my starter to turn backwards? Counter clockwise looking at it from the clutch side.

Anyone know which direction the starter should be spinning? :question: