Yamaha SR125 engine swap? Need help

benjo
This post is 4844 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've just bought a 1995 Yamaha Sr125 off of ebay (will be my first bike). I bought it as a non runner. The cam shaft is starting to wear, thus making a bad noise and engine has seized, looks like the owner neglected to maintain the correct level of engine oil.

I have decided to try and get a second hand engine. The ones i have found have been from newer bikes. Will an engine from a newer bike, say 2000, fit straight onto my bike with no mods to the engine or bike?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

• 1 month later...

I've just carried out an engine swap on my sr125. The engine i believe came from a 99 and mine's a 95. There are some differences like the carb heater and the wiring connectors (not the wiring itself) but to my knowledge you can do a straight swap. The carb heater on mine just isn't connected and i had to chop off the connector blocks on the new engine and crimp on the blocks from the old. Not a big job. Only trouble is that now i can't get the engine to start!!!

After much frustration today, I have concluded that a straight swap is not feasible.

Newer engines use slightly different ignition systems. Although the principles are still the same, the actuality is not.

The sensors in the engine (brown green white and yellow/red wires) will throw off the ignition timing. I didn't have to time today but next weekend i'm going to swap the left hand cover of the old engine to see if that will solve my head ache.

By the way all of the above is just my own personal predictions and experience and none of it should be taken as gospel. A lot of the above i have gathered from minor assumptions.

But in relation to your question - Yes you can do a straight swap if the engine and bike are from the same era. however my bike is a 95 and the engine from a 99 is currently not working in it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online