Cams for R1 and valve accelleration.

Guest JMW
This post is 7092 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just speculating at the moment....

I'm looking at tuning goodies for the R1 / R7 project to be.

Is anyone out there clued up about the R1's response to using a more aggressive set of cams and any possible problems I might encounter regarding valve shrouding and valve weight.

Yoshi do a customised set of cams to your specs - the stock valves look a little heavy and they might not work so well with hotter cams.

What I'm worried about is - if I go for cams, it's likely I'll need to rework the head and valves + seats. If I go that route, how far can I go before the engine chokes itself out on it's own valve id. ?

it's a lot of money to spend (£2K) just on the head but the extra grunt looks worth it, provide it works.

Thanks - J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you could search for the yamaha r1 factory racekit manual. the large enginepackage holds new cams. that would help for starters.

valves should be "3-way cut"... havent got an clue what thats in english. but i think you understand. the basic thing to do for valves in order to have better flow. also you should use race-spec valvesprings. especially with new cams. i would not change to stainless valves or ti-valves. the originals with new 3-way cut does the thing.

if you plan to custom order cams with some lift you really should know a lot of r1 engine and theres still the terrible possibility that they do not work

well with your specific pipe/carb/whatever. and if you lift enaugh, valves will collide with pistons... auh..

as you said... its a lot of money for the head only. why not trye to buy an used set of R1 factory race-kit. they are bound to be for sale at roadrace klubs or similar as R1´s been raced for several years now. trye google-search for roadrace-teams nearby.

... ps... the mc express turbo-kit for R1 costs 38000sek / 2800£ ... and guaranteed for 220bhp. bolt on.

turbo's and high spec motors suffer from lag and low end running issues so the plan is to keep to an injected motor. Nitrous is a thought but after the motor is built.

The timings probably won't change much regarding opening and closing but the accelleration and lift velocity will so you get a longer duration and more juice can get in.

To take full advantage of the longer duration I was playing with valve sizes and after looking at a stock head, shrouding is likely to become a concern.

I'll take a look at the race kit and see what the specifications are.

Although it's a very powerful engine, it's not anywhere near it's true potential :twisted:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online