XJR 1300 running rough - any suggestions?

Wintrmute
This post is 4594 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So I bought an XJR 1300 a couple of weeks ago, the 2007 fuel-injected model.

I've since noticed the idle isn't very smooth.. neither is it if you rev up to say 2000 rpm in neutral and hold it there.. The needle bounces around by a few hundred RPM. It sounds like it's just one cylinder that's misfiring slightly - and when I pulled the plugs, the #3 one looked a bit worse than the others. Running a bit rich perhaps?

Anyway, I took the bike in for a service (incl. new spark plugs) and had the throttle bodies tuned up - but it hasn't really changed anything. The Yamaha guys said that it's just normal for the bike to be this rough. But a guy I know who is very good with bikes reckons it is abnormal, but doesn't really know the XJR specifically.

I don't have anything else to go on..

I'm a bit dubious about the bike's history now; as well as this issue, it was also sold to me with a battery that is cactus and won't hold a charge, but it's mine now I guess :/

How have you found yours to run? Can it be tuned to run smoothly, or is this as good as it gets?

Cheers,

Toby

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Toby, I am fighting the same Problem for two years already. I came to conclusion, that there is some Bug in the Electronics. Models from 2009 should have upgraded Electronics, which should run more smoothly. With the oroginal Electronics it seems to be no chance for improvement. Nice Bike but bad drive.

• 2 months later...

I'm not familiar with the FI on the Xjr13 but if you can adjust the CO like the FJR13 if so its probably set to 2.5% raise it to 4% and it should smooth out the idle or just raise it 0.5% and check.The Fjr ratio 10 = 1%.

Note: DO NOT Equalise / level off all the numbers. Just take note of all the original numbers and add the amount you need.

Just noticed 1st post May. Doh..

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online