brake pedal return spring

dan28
This post is 4872 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

my bike passed mot but got an advisory for having no brake pedal return spring

( click pics to enlarge)

the garage gave me this spring an told me to fit it

springig.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

however i cant see anywhere that it can fit to , an there already seems to be a spring coming from the brake light switch

springanscrew2.th.jpg

also i d like the brake pedal to sit lower how do i achieve this do i need to adjust the bolt in the pic

springscrew.th.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

my bike passed mot but got an advisory for having no brake pedal return spring

( click pics to enlarge)

the garage gave me this spring an told me to fit it

springig.th.jpg

however i cant see anywhere that it can fit to , an there already seems to be a spring coming from the brake light switch

springanscrew2.th.jpg

also i d like the brake pedal to sit lower how do i achieve this do i need to adjust the bolt in the pic

springscrew.th.jpg

The spring in the middle pic is the switch return spring. The pedal return spring should be up near the pedal, I'll have a look tomorrow as I've just locked the garage up

The spring in the middle pic is the switch return spring. The pedal return spring should be up near the pedal, I'll have a look tomorrow as I've just locked the garage up

there is a spring where the pedal bolts to the frame i think it goes through the pedal pivot it looks something like this

minsreturnspringbrakepe.th.jpg

how ever my bike is modifyed to run a rear disc brake so that spring alone isnt returning the pedal fully is there meant to be a long spring like the in my pic above connected to the pedal or am i going to have to modify it ?

there is a spring where the pedal bolts to the frame i think it goes through the pedal pivot it looks something like this

minsreturnspringbrakepe.th.jpg

how ever my bike is modifyed to run a rear disc brake so that spring alone isnt returning the pedal fully is there meant to be a long spring like the in my pic above connected to the pedal or am i going to have to modify it ?

is there a lug on the standard pedal to fit the spring to

like this

b9nfjbwkkgrhqjigeznzelq.th.jpg

an were does the other end of the spring fit to ?

is there a lug on the standard pedal to fit the spring to

like this

b9nfjbwkkgrhqjigeznzelq.th.jpg

an were does the other end of the spring fit to ?

can anyone answer my question

does the standard xvs pedal have a hook to fit the return spring to?

can anyone answer my question

does the standard xvs pedal have a hook to fit the return spring to?

The answwer is no, the pedal return spring is similar to the rotary one shown in your photo. There is no lug for the additional tension spring to fit into/onto. There isnt meant to be another spring for returning the pedal. Is the pedal pivot sticking/seized, does it want cleaning and lubricating to get it working properly? is the rotary broken?

The answwer is no, the pedal return spring is similar to the rotary one shown in your photo. There is no lug for the additional tension spring to fit into/onto. There isnt meant to be another spring for returning the pedal. Is the pedal pivot sticking/seized, does it want cleaning and lubricating to get it working properly? is the rotary broken?

no

the problem is its been converted to rear disc brake witch has made the pedal feel heavier it has the spring on thats seen in my pic but it doesnt return enough unless you give it a tap to help it

i ve bought a pedal of a fzr 600 i m going to cut the lug off an weld it to mine an fit the spring, but what the spring is going to fit to on the bike i dont know ?

no

the problem is its been converted to rear disc brake witch has made the pedal feel heavier it has the spring on thats seen in my pic but it doesnt return enough unless you give it a tap to help it

i ve bought a pedal of a fzr 600 i m going to cut the lug off an weld it to mine an fit the spring, but what the spring is going to fit to on the bike i dont know ?

You dont have to weld something on. Look to see if you can drill a small hole somewhere on the pedal arm itself for one end of the spring to hook into, thers plenty of meat on it for this. The closer to the pedal end the better for leverage

Then look for another location for the second to be drilled, for the other end of the spring to hook onto/into, far enough away to give you sufficient tension and pull the pedal back. Second hole could be anywhere, frame/an existing bracket etc, hole just big enough to hook the spring into

You dont have to weld something on. Look to see if you can drill a small hole somewhere on the pedal arm itself for one end of the spring to hook into, thers plenty of meat on it for this. The closer to the pedal end the better for leverage

Then look for another location for the second to be drilled, for the other end of the spring to hook onto/into, far enough away to give you sufficient tension and pull the pedal back. Second hole could be anywhere, frame/an existing bracket etc, hole just big enough to hook the spring into

the spring wouldnt work with the pedal in standard form so the brake pedal has been shortened an part of an fzr pedal welded in to hook the spring on.an welded a lug on the foot peg bracket to connect the other end of the spring to

i ll get pics up in a few days

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online