smokin a bit

skik
This post is 4885 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks.my yamaha sr125 is smokin a bit from the exhaust[white smoke]could it be anything else other than rings.anything i should check before i take the head off?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi folks.my yamaha sr125 is smokin a bit from the exhaust[white smoke]could it be anything else other than rings.anything i should check before i take the head off?

white is usually over rich mix, could be float in carb/ needle issue.

need to get it done asap as it'll bore wash the oil in the cyl and then you will need a rebore

white is usually over rich mix, could be float in carb/ needle issue.

need to get it done asap as it'll bore wash the oil in the cyl and then you will need a rebore

Isn't that normally black smoke Andy?

Skik it depends on WHEN it smokes, under power it may be the rings or the mixture, on the overun (when slowing down with the throttle shut) it may well be the valve seals. If it smokes at first start up that is also valve seals generally.

Most of my 4 strokes have been cheap junk with one of the above issues with one exception. Fortunately i learned my lesson and stick with 2 strokes now :P

Isn't that normally black smoke Andy?

Skik it depends on WHEN it smokes, under power it may be the rings or the mixture, on the overun (when slowing down with the throttle shut) it may well be the valve seals. If it smokes at first start up that is also valve seals generally.

Most of my 4 strokes have been cheap junk with one of the above issues with one exception. Fortunately i learned my lesson and stick with 2 strokes now :P

how do i check valve seals and what am i looking for

Hi skik. the valve stem seals, symptom , is when engine sits overnight , the oil thats been pumped up to topend,[ head] , runs down valvestems . if seals are worn or hardend, a little oil seeps past , & into combustion chamber, when starting, will burn off, whte/blue smoke. nowt to worry about , check oil levels regulary . ;)

mine was white when i had float level issues. I've also had worn valve stem seals and its the smell gives it away!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online