XJ600 Pre Divvy Fork Replacement

Untold
This post is 4888 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I am probably asking about something that everyone else knows, but having searched the forum and the internet with no luck I thought I'd ask here.

I am replacing the badly pitted forks on my '89 XJ600 with less pitted ones from ebay. They have arrived complete but I don't know if the oil level (or quality) is ok so would like to replace it before installing. The problem is I don't have a tool to remove the top caps. They seem to need an enormous hex bit, 20 or 21mm diameter. Apparently they have new seals, so don't need to take anything else apart except remove the top caps and springs to pour in and measure oil level.

Does anyone have a trick, or know of a tool for removing these top caps? I thought perhaps a bolt head or nut with a spanner might do it, but need to go acquire a bolt. Any suggestions gratefully received :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Probably better to go and buy a 'hex bit' of the right size, it will probably only cost you a fiver from Halfrauds, or try and borrow one from an 'oily jumper man' if you know any ;)

Probably better to go and buy a 'hex bit' of the right size, it will probably only cost you a fiver from Halfrauds, or try and borrow one from an 'oily jumper man' if you know any ;)

I tried to, but could not find one today of the right size (biggest in Halfrauds is 12mm). In the end we got a pack of M10 nuts and bolts from Focus DIY for about a fiver, threaded them together and used a spanner. The top caps popped right out :)

Just finished test riding it and all seems to be well :D

In the end we got a pack of M10 nuts and bolts from Focus DIY for about a fiver, threaded them together and used a spanner.

?????????????????????????