Rear Brake linkage

Guest martinread
This post is 4889 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest martinread

Hi All, wonder if you might be able to help, took the lump out for a spin in the sunshine and had to brake hard for some muppet in his car who couldn't make up his mind which way to go and had a LOUD clang from the rear brake drum, pulled over to see what was what and the rear brake linkage was wrapped around the axle 3 times, now I KNOW it was not like that when I left home thought I and further inspection showed that the torsion bar bolt had sheared off which meant that the brake pivot spun around the rear axle before the bolt on the linkage broke off, lucky I didn't go over the bars really as the brakes were locked solid. Now I have it back in the garage I can't get the drum housing to rotate with out the use of a mallet. My question is, do you think that the bearing has gone or is it just tight after being abused like that, haven't tried to take the wheel off yet as I thought it was best to get all the broken bits off first and try to replace said bolts and linkages, but the brakes now work ok but should I take it all apart to see why the rear brake drum is so tight. Thanks for any advice you might have. Martin.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

well personally mate i would strip it out and take a look.. you cant be riding wondering why it did it... it is worth tkaing the time to check it out and see if all is well

Guest martinread

Thanks canny lad, makes sense really to take it apart and look inside the drum housing. Better to find out now than at 80 and trying to stop with my boots.

the bolt which sheared was probably weak and as soon as you applied rear brake it snapped causing the rod to wrap around the spindle...once you get it stripped out and checked, a new bolt to the brake stabilser it will more than likely be fine.. like you said you would rather do it now while your still in one piece

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online