Hi and HELP

This post is 4889 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

Hopefully one of you guys maybe able to help....I am having problems starting the DragStar...had the electric starter motor changed, about two years ago and it cost nearly £700 to replace...the bloody thing has gone again, I think! When I try to start the bike it just clicks....it tried to fire once but it was a really lame attempt! Does anyone have any ideas, other than throw the bloody thing in the Thames...what can be done or if a non-Yamaha part can be used to replace it? We went for the Yamaha part before, because we thought it would last longer, but it hasn't! I used my bike everyday to go to and from work and it has really dropped me in the crapper, by not working. Surely Yamaha should take some responsibility for producing sub-standard and may I add, not cheap, parts? If you are able to be of any help at all, I would be really grateful.

Thank you.

Dolly

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

'Fraid not - Starter clutch is a known issue with the 1100s.

Best you can hope for is a used one from a scrappy.

'Fraid not - Starter clutch is a known issue with the 1100s.

Best you can hope for is a used one from a scrappy.

Thank you Ttaskmaster for your reply....so basically I am knackered!?

Bit of a con really, if it is an ongoing problem....you would have thought that Yamaha would be able to supply one that actually works properly....!

Take care and Thanx again

I don't think it became an official design issue until they'd pretty much stopped production and/or the warranties had expired, so *technically* it's not their fault.

Most vehicles have similar such defects. Just this one is a bit of a bugger.

I'll tell you what I'll do....... I'll give you £250.00 for it, and at that price I'm mugging myself :eusa_boohoo:

Make sure he adds a zero on the end of that figure and you could have a reasonable deal. Even with a knackered starter, a good nick 1100 should be worth at least £2500-3500!!

:eusa_think: XVS1100 dragstar, knackered starter :eusa_think::idea: .........I'll tell you what I'll do....... I'll give you £250.00 for it, and at that price I'm mugging myself :eusa_boohoo: Let me know how you want paying, and where to collect it from :bighug:

You will give me £250.00 for a knackered starter? sounds good to me! When do you want to collect it!?

Make sure he adds a zero on the end of that figure and you could have a reasonable deal.

Ok then £250.000 it is! :D

You will give me £250.00 for a knackered starter? sounds good to me! When do you want to collect it!?

No no no, you misunderstand, I'm afraid I only speak English so listen carefully! :lol:

Ttaskmaster is right of course and it ought to be worth £2500, but there's lots of them about and that one's not a sought after colour, and I'll have to MOT it and the rear tyre is looking a bit low, tell you what, £252.00 and I'll throw in the bus fare so you can get home after you have delivered it. Can't say fairer than that John ;)

There's plenty of secondhand starters on Ebay in the states,

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=XVS1100&_kw=starter&_cqr=true&_dmpt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&_nkwusc=XVS1100+dragstar+staarter&_rusck=1

Just need to pay the shipping, which isn't too much usually, and you might have to pay some inport duty, even with this added expence it'll be a whole lot cheaper than £700.00

There's plenty of secondhand starters on Ebay in the states,

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_kw=XVS1100&_kw=starter&_cqr=true&_dmpt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&_nkwusc=XVS1100+dragstar+staarter&_rusck=1

Just need to pay the shipping, which isn't too much usually, and you might have to pay some inport duty, even with this added expence it'll be a whole lot cheaper than £700.00

Thanks Leatherat for sending me this...looks really promising. Much appreciated!

All I have to do now...is work out how to fit it....so will be investing in a manual too!

Cheers

Dolly

I don't think it became an official design issue until they'd pretty much stopped production and/or the warranties had expired, so *technically* it's not their fault.

Most vehicles have similar such defects. Just this one is a bit of a bugger.

Thanks Ttaskmaser for your support and information.

Is that a mercury logo you have on your picture?

Cheers

Dolly

Is that a mercury logo you have on your picture?

It's the Caduceus.

Also known as the staff of Hermes, Iris and heralds/messengers in general... yes, including Mercury, who is the messenger of the Roman gods, guide of the dead and the protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars and thieves.

It is also the alchemical/occult/esoteric/whatever symbol of male and female, light and dark, good and evil and other such opposite-defined pairings, whilst at the same time representing the balance betwixt each. It also symbolises the four elements as sun, staff, snake and wing, being fire, earth, water and air respectively.

It's also used in many other contexts, most notably the Sacrifice album by Gary Numan, which is one of the many reasons I have it tattooed on my left shoulder!

However, it is NOT a proper, correct medical symbol - That is the Rod of Asclepius, which has only one snake and no wings.

Wikipedia has chapter and verse on both staffs.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online