XVS650 - Loose gearshift, advice please!

Kong714
This post is 4891 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Wondering if anyone can help - I've got an XVS650 Dragstar and on returning to it after winter, I've noticed that the gearshift pedal is loose (ie moving from side to side) and its difficult to change gears as a result. Its probably been knocked by someone/something as its on the street most of the time.

Its been garaged at a mate's house so I can't get to it easily but I'm going there this weekend to try and sort it out. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there something I can tighten easily, or does it need me to fit a new circlip? If so - I;ve never done this before, is it easy? Can I get a circlip that'll do the job from anywhere or only from a bike dealer?

Sorry for all the questions and not really knowing much, not been riding long and a bit mechanically dumb!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Wondering if anyone can help - I've got an XVS650 Dragstar and on returning to it after winter, I've noticed that the gearshift pedal is loose (ie moving from side to side) and its difficult to change gears as a result. Its probably been knocked by someone/something as its on the street most of the time.

Its been garaged at a mate's house so I can't get to it easily but I'm going there this weekend to try and sort it out. Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there something I can tighten easily, or does it need me to fit a new circlip? If so - I;ve never done this before, is it easy? Can I get a circlip that'll do the job from anywhere or only from a bike dealer?

Sorry for all the questions and not really knowing much, not been riding long and a bit mechanically dumb!

Not familiar with the bike but I assume that the circlip is missing from its location on the shift shaft. You should be able to see the slot the clip fits in if you push the pedal up against the bracket. I imagine a Yam dealer will be able to give you one the right size if you tell them the bike type etc. Otherwise, you will need to measure the shaft size with a micrometer or digital caliper, then buy a clip from an engineers supplier etc. If you can let me know the right size, i dare say I could post one to you next week, you will require a pair of external circlip pliers to fit it.

If you're not comfortable with that, ride the bike to the mearest Yam dealer, and ask them to pop a clip on for you, its a tne second job and I'd be staggered if they have the nerve to charge anyhting for it.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online