Front brake issues

DJW997
This post is 4871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a small breakthrough!!

Phoned up the Yam dealer earlier today to try and get a quote for putting my front brake right, and the receptionist put me onto one of the technicians. I explained my problem to him, and he told me to be persistant with bleeding - he was saying how he did the brakes an xt 125 ( the bike in question ) a while back and how it was an absolute nightmare! And apparently the rear is even worse so I won't even think about touching that! I did explain about the leaky nipple but he didn't really respond to it. He just said be persistant with the bleeding.

So I've gone out this afternoon and had a 'final crack' at it. I was probably out there for an hour or so just bleeding. Pump lever 3 times, and on the 4th open the nipple, then close. I realised that when I've been bleeding it previously, I've not had the end of the bleed tube submerged in fluid at the bottom of the container - it has a weird kink in it which has been keeping it out of the fluid and I never realised untill I had a look down in there today. So now when I bleed, the fluid fills the inner diameter of the tube rather than trickling down it. When I've been doing this I've noticed the fluid comes out pretty slowly and I've only noticed about 2 or 3 large air bubbles.

Anyway, after a lot of time pumping and spannering away, I've got a bit of feel right at the bottom of the lever! (close to the bar) And the front brake works!! When I push the bike and squeeze the lever the front wheel locks! If I really push it though, the brake squeaks (like a sponge on a glass window) . I'm guessing this is because of brake fluid on the pads, I split a little on them when I first split the calliper, and it made that noise then (I still had a small amount of brake pressure at that point before I tried to bleed it)

I had to stop bleeding because it started to rain, and I have to work out on the patio as the garage is full of junk. But it looks like I'm well on the way here!

When the rain goes away I'll keep going with it, but I'm wondering if it's just the lever free play needs adjusting, as the brake does work pretty well apart from the squeaking noise if I push the bike hard. It is a new master cylinder & lever after all, so I might have a play with that as well.

I'll keep going when I can and keep you updated!

Another update:

Kept on with this bleeding process but wasn't getting anywhere. I talked to a friend about it and he asked about the pad thickness, (which is very little) and suggested new pads would push the pistons in and help/speed up the bleeding process? Not sure if so much is true but the pads want replacing anyway so I removed the calliper and cleaned up the pistons ready to push back for new pads. I tried to push them back in. One piston went in nicely, the other did not! So I have yet another problem.

I've ordered a new calliper w/ pads for a good price. This should also clear up the leaky bleed nipple! So hopefully, after this, I should have a front brake again! Fingers crossed!

bloody 'ell this is a saga.

why can't your mates give you a hand?

Update no. 10783736645445.5:

New calliper arrived today, fitted it w/ new pads.

Back filled the system with NO LEAKS from bleed nipple! :D Sent the fluid up the line first, then connected to master and went on to fill the reservoir via master.

After this I had no or little feel in the lever, so I bled traditionally and eventually got a half decent lever. I kept bleeding but wasn't getting any air bubbles in the bleed tube, but a nice flow of pure fluid. I bled the master from the top banjo as well to see if this would sort it but it didn't.

Took the bike out for a test ride! First time in a month and it felt awesome to be back on it! Apart from a slightly spongy front brake. :( I guess I just need to keep bleeding eh?

Stay tuned for update no. 10783736645445.6!

Possibly a few small bubbles trapped in the hose - when you squeeze the lever they get pushed down a bit, release and they start to rise only to get pushed back down on the next squeeze, so ...

Tie the lever back to the bars overnight - any wee bubbles in the hose will rise up to the master cylinder in their own time and be released when you untie the lever.

I'll have another bleeding sesh today and tie the lever back overnight! Thanks for the advice! :)

Update no. 10783736645445.6 (pretty sure this is the last :) )

I now have a front brake again! :D Just kept perservering with the bleeding, tried a different method - (open nipple, squeeze lever, close nipple, release lever)opposed to pump 4 times, open, close, release. This seemed to pump the fluid through a lot quicker, and of course the air bubbles.

So - thanks to everyone that posted, I really do appreciate you taking your time to help me out, so I thought I'd link a video from YouTube of me starting the bike (after sitting for about 3 weeks due to the brake issues). It's nothing special, but I thought it would show my appreciation of your help :)

It does look to be running a bit rough, but it's not - I'm just being impatient with the choke as it does sound rather nice when it's ticking over around 1300 :)

Thanks again guys.

so now your the bleeding expert! B)

thank god you've now got it sorted

so now your the bleeding expert! B)

thank god you've now got it sorted

I should be, yes! Thanks.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online