Front brake issues

DJW997
This post is 4871 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You are opening the nipple properly aren't you? you won't feel any pressure on the lever till there is enough fluid in the system to produce the pressure. Open the nipple up properly and push fluid with the syringe till it fills the master cyl without any obvious bubbles. Then fine tune the traditional way if you must. Didn't ever have to bother on my old suzuki.

I unscrew the nipple about 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn from snug. When I try to back fill the master cyl, the fluid just leaks through the threads of the nipple and drips off the calliper and down my front tyre wall. But with the master's banjo disconnected, it will go up the line and come out of the banjo - not leaking through the threads as much.

I can only guess this is due to the pressure of pushing fluid up through the master.(I did leave the reservoir lid off) but the leaky nipple isn't helping so I figured I'd get a new one. Hopefully I'll be able to back fill the whole system then and have a front brake again! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A purchase from the bay has no guarantee, unless it states it has a guarantee, did you buy the part from an online supplier or a private seller ?

A purchase from the bay has no guarantee, unless it states it has a guarantee, did you buy the part from an online supplier or a private seller ?

The master cylinder was purchased from 'the bay' as new, stripped from a new bike and it works fine! I think my problem is with my leaky calliper bleed nipple. You suggested to replace it in a previous post so I've asked my local Yam dealer to order one in for me.

Bleed nipples are fairly cheap to replace, I asked about the master cos I would only buy 'critical' parts off the bay if I intended to strip them and do an over-haul, keep us posted on how you get on with the new nipples (oooher missus) :huh::)

Bleed nipples are fairly cheap to replace, I asked about the master cos I would only buy 'critical' parts off the bay if I intended to strip them and do an over-haul, keep us posted on how you get on with the new nipples (oooher missus) :huh::)

I agree, 'the bay' probably isn't the best place to be buying critical parts, but I guess I was lucky here! It pumps out fluid lovely! Unlike the other which didn't at all! So I'm happy with it.

And yes, I will happily keep you updated on my nipples ;)

Appreciate the guidance!

Nipple update:

Useless :( Still leaks out when I try to back fill, this time no fluid will come out of the master banjo. Also tried bleeding it the 'normal' way - Fluid goes down in the master but doesn't come out of the nipple - I think it's just running down the spanner and onto my glove.

Gonna call the dealer tomorrow and try get a quote or something. I've been without the bike for a month now, and as much I enjoy fiddling with bikes, I'm starting to get really fed up of this :mellow:

Thanks again for all of your input, I really do appreciate it.

Unless I can think of something else to try, I'll post an update after the techies have had a play with it.

And I'm sorry that you won't get the chance to see the 'handbag buzzer' in action on my brake lines! But who knows.. maybe the technicians will try it :o !

Is that with the new nipples in the caliper ?

Ok, the fluid is meeting some resistance somewhere, thats why its oozing from the nipple thread, using the 'normal fill method' would you say that the system is almost full?

Ok, the fluid is meeting some resistance somewhere, thats why its oozing from the nipple thread, using the 'normal fill method' would you say that the system is almost full?

I really don't know. I'm not getting any resistance in the lever.

If you have enough clean brake fluid left, would you like to give it one more go ?

I could give it one more go, I think I have enough fluid. But it'll just make more mess! Unless you have any ideas?

Going back to the start when you split your caliper, when you put it back together was there an 'o' ring or some other seal between the two halves, and if so did you carefully put the two halves together with the seal in place ?, I'll assume that you did, did you move or tamper with the pots (cylinders) or their seals ?

There was an o-ring yes, I was careful to put it back exactly as it was. It looked in good condition, not deformed or anything. I carefully pulled it out of its groove and gave it a wipe over and I did push one of the pots in a small amount to push a bit of brake fluid over the o-ring to make sure it would seal, as I didn't have any fluid on hand at that time - So would have let more air in I imagine. (I gave the pots a clean with some brake cleaner and some clean rag before I pushed the one pot in a bit) I lined the halves up carefully making sure the o-ring was still in place and torqued the bolts to spec. I haven't removed any pots or seals either.

Ok, not being there I now have a clearer picture

where the hell did you get that jumper :o

30644_harry_enfield.jpg

Ok, seriously, I use the back fill method cos I find it the easiest, follow the instructions as before, to get a tight seal on the nipple I have used PTFE (plumbers tape) on the nipple, but as you have a new one then all should be ok-you can expect a weep from the threads-this is normal, open the top banjo half to 3/4 turn, use the syringe to 'slowly' force the fluid through the nipple into the pots,when it reaches the 'top' banjo-close the bleed end and then the banjo end

with me so far ?

Just before you throw in the towel, have you got some ptfe tape, the stuff plumbers use?

Cost pence from any B+Q type place.

Put a small amount on the nipple. That will seal the threads so you can foce the fluid through the system. Once its full, whip the nipple out quick, take the tape off and bleed it the normal way to clear out the bit of air that will get in.

What Jumper? I don't get it!

I have a brand new nipple in the calliper and it still dribbles everywhere which confuses me, unless it's the threads in the calliper? I will get hold of some plumbers thread tape then.

Yes I am with you so far, this is the method I've been using to back fill! Except it leaks everywhere from the nipple!

When you inject the fluid through the nipple and there is no resistance (i.e. the top banjo is loose) the fluid should reach the top banjo

When you inject the fluid through the nipple and there is no resistance (i.e. the top banjo is loose) the fluid should reach the top banjo

Yes. I've had it come out of the loosened banjo on previous attempts (Though still leaking from the threads) but I've tried it today and nothing. I've not changed anything apart from the new bleed nipple.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online