xvs125 wont start

tallguy125
This post is 4883 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey all, iv got a problem with my dragstar.

im getting no spark to both plugs, the engine cranks and fuel goes into the cylinders but im getting no spark.

it came about when i was riding home, the chain fell off and the bike cut out (does this on the regular when i pull up on the drive and let the gas right off, revs dip and bike cuts out, so i assumed nothing, it was normal for me) i pushed it up the drive and could not get it going, check both plugs, no spark. tried new plugs, still no spark. i dont believe both ignition coils could die at the same time.

thanks for your help.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Chain fell off????!!!!

Bike sounds like it's in a real state of disrepair.

I suggest taking the bike to a mechanic and getting a top-to-tail service!!!

Ask him to let you watch and learn everything you can about keeping it in shape.

hey all, iv got a problem with my dragstar.

im getting no spark to both plugs, the engine cranks and fuel goes into the cylinders but im getting no spark.

it came about when i was riding home, the chain fell off and the bike cut out (does this on the regular when i pull up on the drive and let the gas right off, revs dip and bike cuts out, so i assumed nothing, it was normal for me) i pushed it up the drive and could not get it going, check both plugs, no spark. tried new plugs, still no spark. i dont believe both ignition coils could die at the same time.

thanks for your help.

You've been lucky, a chain off at speed can cause a serious accident. Did it just "come off" or did it snap? Either way, points to lack of proper care through too slack or rusty and dry :huh:

not sure that I understand why the bike only cuts out on the drive,, do the revs dip at junctions/traffic lights etc or is it just on the drive?

Check to see if the chain has damaged the side stand switch when it came off

the bikes a daily driver and has seen all weather apart hail and without it everything becomes a struggle for me in travelling, im looking to restore this one, i admit its not in top form but i have no resources to keep it in top nick. I do the bare basics for it to keep it going thats about it.

Try turning the idle up.

the bikes a daily driver and has seen all weather apart hail and without it everything becomes a struggle for me in travelling, im looking to restore this one, i admit its not in top form but i have no resources to keep it in top nick. I do the bare basics for it to keep it going thats about it.

Do you have an owners manual?

• 2 weeks later...

Had same problem on my 125 after being stolen recovered. Even with a new battery I was getting nothing but it was just one of the 30 blade fuses in the box under the l/h/s of the seat.

Easy fix and was very relieved!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online