New drag pipes fixed

Leatherat
This post is 4894 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This afternoon I are mostly been making new brackets to fix the angle of the exhaust from this....

Picture.jpg

To this....

Picture009-1.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Looks better don't it?

Since fitting the new pipes (without re-jetting the carbs)I have noticed that I get about 15 more miles per tank of fuel, with no real loss of power, and only a slight discolouration of the chrome.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It just wasn't right offset like that.. that would annoy me. :angry:

Nice work. B)

B) Thankyouverymuch.....uh huh huh! B) (Elvis mode off).

Yeah I know what you mean, it was slowly getting under my skin, so much so that yesterday I snapped and just had to sort it out, even though it was 1000 degrees C in the garage. I'm glad I bothered though 'cause it looks a whole heap better. I made the brackets (bit posh to call them brackets really, more like strips with holes in each end) out of some 2mm ali sheet I had laying around and some stainless bolts with nylocs so I hope they're going to be OK. I guess I'll find out today :D

I think they're straighter than mine!! :lol:

Coming out of the closet, eh? :lol:

You callin' my bike gay, are yeh? Eh? eh? EH?

:)

I'm a bit busy moving house and working on the new job.

Once things is calmed down a touch, I'll get to it.

That looks much better - well worth the effort!!!

That looks superb

but I can see 2 brackets on the top photo, and I can still only see 2 on the following photos. So where is the new bracket fitted :huh:

Can I ask a couple of questions bout the screen I'm thinking of having one for the Virago? Do you look over or through the screen, I rather look just over it than through, and whats the height from the top of your headlight to the top of the screen?

Thanks

I can see 2 brackets on the top photo, and I can still only see 2 on the following photos. So where is the new bracket fitted :huh:

The chrome brackets you can see in both photos are the ones supplied fixed to the exhausts. The original exhausts have these brackets as well. They fix to a small arm welded to the frame, but unfortunately, the new exhausts are not as well set up as the originals and the chrome brackets do not line up with the mounting arm on the frame properly. The brackets I have had to manufacture are to the rear of the chrome brackets you can see. This is a good thing as they are hidden and do not detract from the aesthetics of the bike.

I will try to photograph the new brackets tomorrow, it's a bit dark at the mo.

Can I ask a couple of questions bout the screen I'm thinking of having one for the Virago? Do you look over or through the screen, I rather look just over it than through, and whats the height from the top of your headlight to the top of the screen?

Take a look at this post with reference to the screen

I look over the top of the screen, by about 3 inches. Looking through the screen can get a bit hairy when it rains.

The screen is 20 inches from the top of the headlight Vertically, but measured along the screen which is obviously at an angle it is 22 inches (does that make sense?)

OK, so unlike certain other members........I'm not slow off the mark with the camera. These pictures attempt to show the brackets I had to use to straighten the pipes. The angles I've had to bend into this morning to get you these.....I hope your all apreciative! :D

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Now, this firm advertise that these pipes will fit any and all Dragstar 650's......hmmm. To be fair, what they don't advertise is that they will fit well. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the pipes, but there's no way they will fit straight out of the box, not well anyway.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online