Homemade custom exhaust - XS400

Michael
This post is 4895 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My stock exhausts are in a pretty bad shape. They both have holes in them and exhaust gasses are leaking out from them. So I was wondering, it is possible to make your own exhaust?

I've got this idea so far:

exhaustsketchup.png

Would this be any good? Would it give enough backpressure, like the original exhaust pipes?

In between the outher and inner pipe I would put some steel wool or something to dampen it.

I'm open for ideas, as I think a straight pipe wouldn't be to good. (Makes to much noise when I have to use it for school every morning :D )

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My stock exhausts are in a pretty bad shape. They both have holes in them and exhaust gasses are leaking out from them. So I was wondering, it is possible to make your own exhaust?

I've got this idea so far:

exhaustsketchup.png

Would this be any good? Would it give enough backpressure, like the original exhaust pipes?

In between the outher and inner pipe I would put some steel wool or something to dampen it.

I'm open for ideas, as I think a straight pipe wouldn't be to good. (Makes to much noise when I have to use it for school every morning :D )

looks ok, you don't really need backpressure in a 4 stroke engine it needs scavenging. a tuned exhaust is really only for racing and careers are built around this!

just get some downtubes made and hook on an aftermarket silencer, or if our still keen, go with what you have there!

Heh okay. Well, I also kinda based my idea on an exhaust from my Yamaha FS1 2-stroke moped which had an illegal (where I live) exhaust which of course made it go faster.

But after having consulted my father (which kind of owns this place), he just wants me to get the bike done so it doesn't use up all his space.

So I've just, as you said, hooked on some pipes, straight through, and will fit some lollipops. We'll then see how that turns out.. :D

Almost forgot, when changing to straight pipes with lollipops, what is the common amount of jets to go up?

Isn't it like 2 up in main- and pilotjet?

And if I wanted to run pods at the same time, like 3 up in the jets instead of 2?

Almost forgot, when changing to straight pipes with lollipops, what is the common amount of jets to go up?

Isn't it like 2 up in main- and pilotjet?

And if I wanted to run pods at the same time, like 3 up in the jets instead of 2?

unfortunatly there isn't chapter and verse on this, I' leave the pilot alone and adjust the mix out. the mains I'd get 1st and 2nd up and see what happens. sometimes you can just get away with a needle raise!

Because the carbs are old, there are too many variables involved.

Hmm..

So you'd just leave the pilot jet as it is and replace the main jet?

Because when running with no real muffler in the exhuast, the gasses will flow a lot more freely and it would need a bigger main jet, right?

And maybe raise the needle a tad for the mid-range point.

Got it, will try that out. But will first have to identify the mains I have in the bike at this moment.