Hi. 1975 DT400 owner from Australia

This post is 4344 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone,

I finally came across this cool site that I can share my joys/pitfalls in trying to restore a 1975 DT400 that I just picked up.

I'm 44 and live in Canberra, Australia (well..near it). I have never restored a motorbike before but have ridden bikes for years. I grew up learning to ride on a bright orange 1975 DT250. Many year on, I yearned for a similar bike but came across a 1975 DT400 that was probably more fun to restore.

The bike is basically complete, but needs a total restoration job done on it. I have found eBay very useful as well as Yamatopdog int he US for getting parts. At this stage, I have stripped a lot of it but want to actually get the thing started (as the previous owner took the CDI unit off because he thought there was a problem with it).

So...my dilemna is this.... I have the CDI unit...and I "think" I know how to put it on the bike (left side am I right?) but can't work out the wiring. Does anyone have any descent pics of their bike with the covers off so that I can see how it should be wired up? You help would be totally appreciated here.

cheers

Pato

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome pat" as he says , cant go wrong, thers a black 3 prong plug.. ,then 4 wires. . match em up on loom, Its is mounted beside battery box, ,

The unit should be Mitsubisiy Electric F8T 00172. ;)

Hi Pato,

I'll be keeping an eye out for you. I'm just down the street in Q-Town. Getting around on a DT250a so no CDI that I can help you with though.

Gordo

• 1 year later...

I finally came across this cool site that I can share my joys/pitfalls in trying to restore a 1975 DT400 that I just picked up.

I am trying to restore one as well. I owned one in 1975 that I used to go to college. Sold it but found an old barnyard one and just started restoring it today.

How are you doing with yours?

Pic of mine today...

DT400_11_Jun_2012_201.jpg

DT400_11_Jun_2012_202.jpg

and when I stopped 3 hours later...

DT400_11_Jun_2012_424.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online