1983 virago xv500k wiring

alsnyder2008
This post is 4898 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just bought a 1983 virago xv500 and there is a wire that goes to the clutch lever on the handle bars that is broken off. What is the purpose/function of this electrical connection? Its a single wire that goes into a hole right behind the clutch lever. The bike runs fine and I dont see any funtion that this could be impeding.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I just bought a 1983 virago xv500 and there is a wire that goes to the clutch lever on the handle bars that is broken off. What is the purpose/function of this electrical connection? Its a single wire that goes into a hole right behind the clutch lever. The bike runs fine and I dont see any funtion that this could be impeding.

I'm guessing here, but I can only think that its the clutch switch wire, connects with the sidestand to prevent starting with the sidestand down and clutch engaged.

Should operate like this:

Sidestand down/bike in gear/clutch engaged - bike wont start

Sidestand down/bike in neutral/clutch engaged - bike should start

Sidestand down/bike in gear/clutch disengaged - bike should start

Sidestand up/bike in neutral/clutch engaged - bike should start

Sidestand up/bike in gear/clutch disengaged - bike should start

Check your sidestand for a switch presence

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online