DT 175MX Exhaust Baffle

NE0
This post is 4692 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was waitng at the lights today and a PC came over and tapped me on the shoulder..

'ello, ello...your bikes a bit too noisy!! :blink:

Eh?, I couldn't hear him...my bikes a bit noisy! :lol: my helmet helps drown most of it! :D

Anyway, he was alright about it, but he said I ought to get it a bit quieter!

So once i got it home I set about having a look...and listen.

With my helmet off, clearly it is a bit on the loud side.....

However, it doesn't help that the rubber joining the rear can is a bit perished and loose. Plus there's a small hole in the bend by the engine...have to get the welder out! I also discovered the wool inside the rear can is a bit flakey and jet black!

Looking on ebay I see you can get replacement baffle wool, and hopefully a new rubber connector. But I also came across decibel killers...

Can they be fitted to the DT can?

Will repacking the baffle wool cure it on its own?

I've not had to worry about this sort of thing before my 400/4 just purrs....

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

OG I can only assume its OEM.

The bikes only done 19000 from new and there are many receipts for work done.

Exhaust pipe welded on 3 occasions match the 3 small patches on the bend...just where its got a hole now!

No mention of a new tail can.

The can is a smooth black cylinder with 3 allen screws which hold the end cap on. No numbers visible?

The wadding inside just falls apart when pulled. Its oily and black as expected.

I've got a spare exhaust chamber for the front to fit on, (needs a gasket and connecting rubber first)

I assume replacing the wadding will effect the noise level....

just trying to comply with Mr plod ..........and my neighbours i guess!!! ;)

OG I can only assume its OEM.

The bikes only done 19000 from new and there are many receipts for work done.

Exhaust pipe welded on 3 occasions match the 3 small patches on the bend...just where its got a hole now!

No mention of a new tail can.

The can is a smooth black cylinder with 3 allen screws which hold the end cap on. No numbers visible?

The wadding inside just falls apart when pulled. Its oily and black as expected.

I've got a spare exhaust chamber for the front to fit on, (needs a gasket and connecting rubber first)

I assume replacing the wadding will effect the noise level....

just trying to comply with Mr plod ..........and my neighbours i guess!!! ;)

I thought the OEM ones were constructed in such a way that they were one piece and there was no access to the inner wadding :unsure: Thats was it as far as I can remember, they were also made of steel and very heavy whereas the aftermarket ones were generally aluminium and had access to change the baffle packing. Your local bike shop may have the packing, or I know that 'Yambits' sells it and will deliver to your door.

You are right about changing it, really this should be an annual event and pack it reasonably tight or it wont work

Trouble is I've got nothing to compare it to OG

Its not that heavy, must be aluminium, so its likely to be aftermarket.

I've not got all the receipts for work done so I don't know when it was replaced.

I've seen the wadding available at yambits OG, is one pack enough? does it compress?

Trouble is I've got nothing to compare it to OG

Its not that heavy, must be aluminium, so its likely to be aftermarket.

I've not got all the receipts for work done so I don't know when it was replaced.

I've seen the wadding available at yambits OG, is one pack enough? does it compress?

Yeah a magnet will confirm, i dont know of any aftermarket ones that were steel. I have only bought baffle packing from shops so you will have to give Yambits a call to confirm but surely a pack would be enough.

EDIT

Ahh I see Yambits sell the baffle pack in sheets and sell wire wrap for it too. I have no experience of this method...I have only used the loose stuff see link. Wear a dust mask and work outside, its made from fibreglass wool I think so tends to float around in the air a bit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Baffle-Packing-130grms-/150588819449?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item230fcb07f9

http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/HL-555555/

A nice little tutorial for the sheet stuff here, looks easy and less messy

OMG the producer of the video needs a course in how to edit! :blink:

Made my eyes go funny, all the chops and repeats, he must be on drugs!!! :wacko: OR I must be getting old.......... :D

• 3 months later...

I've been busy recently, swinging arm rerurbishment, new brakes and bearings and I've NOW I've repacked the rear can, and made a video of the process, just got to find some time to edit and upload it.....that won't happen soon, thats a wet weather day!!

and the news?................it sounds a lot better now!...and slightly quieter too!! :eusa_clap:

When I repacked my end can, I secured the wadding with that green plastic coated wire used for gardening, plants etc, which made me a tad worried about the plastic covering melting with the heat, but after seeing him wrap insulating tape over his wadding, and noticing it hadn't melted on his old wadding, I don't feel I now have to re-open mine back up, and just use normal wire.

See what you mean about his drug induced editing, and it could have been made about half as long.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online