xvs 1300 tyre life ?

cakeboy
This post is 4336 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I've just done 6500 miles on my OEM tires - the front looks fine and there's some life left in the rear tire but I guess it will need changing around summer time. I was thinking of trying either a Dunlop E3 or a Metzler 880 on the rear. I've heard both these tires (which are radials + slightly wider than stock) handle much better & give between 2-3000 miles more riding.

A lot of US riders are now switching to car tires - they're claiming 20,000 miles but I'm sticking to a M/C tire for now...

Graham

I've just done 6500 miles on my OEM tires - the front looks fine and there's some life left in the rear tire but I guess it will need changing around summer time. I was thinking of trying either a Dunlop E3 or a Metzler 880 on the rear. I've heard both these tires (which are radials + slightly wider than stock) handle much better & give between 2-3000 miles more riding.

A lot of US riders are now switching to car tires - they're claiming 20,000 miles but I'm sticking to a M/C tire for now...

Graham

I suppose if some of their states only have about four corners, they could get away with car tyres.

Car tyres would have to be a lot heavier than bike tyres wouldn't they?, different characteristics in the corners?

Are you running your tyres at the right pressure (41psi rear)? I tend to take it easy for the most part but I do some hard accelerating every now and again... Do you ride solo or two up? I guess your steady could be my pushing it? - I've only ever scraped the floorboards twice in 18 months and that was accidentally, whereas some people say they scrape them in every bend.

Let us know which replacement tyres you go for.

From what the US riders say about car tyres they handle well even in the bends but you have to get used to it - it takes more push to get the bike to lean and the bike wants to sit up more. That said they claim it has loads more grip and one you get used to it they say they will never go back to a m/c tyre on their 1300 again. Guess it must be good?

• 2 weeks later...

well ive had a look at the front tire as well and its down. i checked the pressure and they were down but the shop i got it from supposed to have done all that, so that might be reason for permiture wear. i think i might have a look at those 880,s next.

Maybe the Dunlop E3 may fare better in the reviews?? I heard some complain of cupping on the ME880, but I figured this was under inflated tyres...? Never heard of anyone complain of cracking side walls on the 1300Site

the problem with the xvs 1300 is that they only recomend two different makes bridgestone & dunlop, and because of the unusual size [ 170/70-16 ] your choice is very limited . i think going up to a 180 may be the way to go and if anything there cheaper at that size.

I'm certainly going up a size at next tyre change - can't help but think Yammy put an odd size tyre on the bike on purpose just like the belt size seems unique to the 1300; bet that'll cost a fortune to change and only be available direct from Yammy... :blink:

yep - that's the one good thing about it. The legend that is Frostbite has now done over 100,000 miles on his 1300, changed the drive belt at 87k. I think I'll follow his service schedule http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?qu=100%2C000&find=Search&webtag=vstar1300&ctx=search&cl=729353&af=31&o=relevance&be=0

for the record, ive done 5,500 on my exedra rear and dont think it'll get to 6,500 miles without replacement,the wear markers are pretty close to the surface now, i guess i ride 2 up 50% of the time. I was expecting a little more...However, how your tyre is almost done at 3,000 miles is odd ?, it should have done much more than that.

hi Graham... hope your well mate, my next addition is a pro pad mini beast 5

Car tyres on a bike??!!

Sounds like a recipie for an insanely stupid disaster to me...

I use Avon Venoms on my bike and last got 19,000 odd out of them. Perhaps they do them for other models?

I know what you mean about car tyres on the bike, but there's a thread on a 1300 forum with over 1400 posts discussing this just on the 1300 and everyone who has gone 'darkside' seems happy... I guess if I was doing 12,000+ miles a year like some of these guys I might consider it, but given I only do around 3K on the 1300 a year its not much of an issue. I sure wish Avon would do the vemon for the 1300 with a tyre life like that!

Phil, hope all is well. I've seen a picture recently of a 1300 with that horn - looked good. I put the Stebel Nautilus on mine which seems to get me noticed! I tend to ride 2 up on the 1300 about 90% of the time and am hoping the tyres will last me the rest of this season, though I may be optimistic about that. Am currently looking to have my front forks replaced under warranty as they've developed 'white webbing' under the lacquer - dealer says it shouldn't be a problem (once I convinced him the bike was still in warranty!) Will probably have the new ones powdercoated as he reckons stone chips will cause it to happen in the future anyway [not that I ride on gravel!] & none of my other bikes have ever developed it before.

Will have to meet up sometime for a run out. You may wish to see THIS for a proposed 1300 meet in June - yet to be confirmed.

Will have to meet up sometime for a run out. You may wish to see THIS for a proposed 1300 meet in June - yet to be confirmed.

firstly, sorry ive 'hijacked' your thread briefly cakeboy, graham, yeah...we'll have to meet up again this summer, am interested in the proposed june meet up..keep me posted please, i shall keep visiting the other site and ive e-mailed mick, perhaps you've still got my mobile number ?, just text me if so

many thanks

They do Venoms for the following:

XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Venture, Classic, Tour Deluxe

XVZ 1300 Royal Star, Boulevard, Cheyenne

XVZ 1300 T D Venture Royal

Will they not fit?

Having looked at all the tyre sizes for the Venoms on Avons website they're all the wrong size :( Perhaps one day they'll see sense and make some correct size tyres???

Phil - do still have your number will text/email if I hear anything. Take it easy

the tyre choice for the xvs1300 really is a PITA.... going slightly off the subject, i wonder how many xvs1300's yamaha have sold in the uk ?, as the only other one i have seen on the road in 2 years of ownership is 'clarkegray' (grahams bike). never seen another at all the bike meets and places ive been to, perhaps there isn't the market over here ?

Yes, replying to your side comment, it would be interesting to know how many XVS1300 there are in the UK, I have had my bike for just over a year and haven't seen another yet.