model number 1975 mx or dt

ghb
This post is 4899 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello,

I am getting what I think is a 1975 DT 400 but cannot find reference anywhere to the numbers that are stamped on the frame and engine. They are matching numbers :501-003291.

I am told there is really good compression but I seem to remember the DT had a decompressor on it. I do not know about the MX. I dont even remember where the decompressor is located. Is it a knob you pull out or what. I have not seen this bike yet but I sure am looking forward to playing with it. It will be a change from my little 800 Cruiser.

Thanks for any help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hey GHB. yeh its a twinshock DT400. [ 501- ] The auto decompressor is cable opperated [ with kickstart] located front of barrel. i disconected mine as it always let go mid-swing [ kicking]

They start no bother without it,

Is it a UK model ? wheres are you ,?

Hey GHB. yeh its a twinshock DT400. [ 501- ] The auto decompressor is cable opperated [ with kickstart] located front of barrel. i disconected mine as it always let go mid-swing [ kicking]

They start no bother without it,

Is it a UK model ? wheres are you ,?

Hi, I am in Canada (Northern Ontario) so it is not a UK model. This model may have been sold in Africa as well from what I read. I have not found any reference to the serial number but I am still working on it.