dragstar (vstar) 650 which leaks oil.... alot

fearless joe
This post is 4904 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello, you may not know me, ive been a member for about 12 mins now lol

i came to seek knowledge of dragstars so i might make mine not be broken

anyhow, ill try to keep this short

i went to the us of a for a bike holiday, i bought a vstar 650 from canada for paperwork reasons rode it 12K (aprox 19000 km)miles around the us (well recamended by the way)

and shipped my bike home (not recomended), but its imported, though not registed yet

while out there i ran it almost dry of oil in 2 weeks, and from then on topped it up, but useing 10w40, as i couldnt find 10 30, i figured the wrong oil was better then none, anyhow i think i may have over filled it and it started leaking while i was there

now back in the uk it has 4 brands of oil in it, plus whatever origional 10 30 oil was in there

yes.... im stupid lol, i know better but, well oooops

anyone know what i might have broken by over filling, i susspect a gasket on something

it seems to drip off the where the gear leaver goes into the gearbox, but it is on a side stand

bike is a 99 with 98K killometers (60K ish miles) on the clock

and a puddle of oil under it

chears in advice, sorry i didnt keep it short

joe

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Well, I suppose several different brands of approximately correct oil is better than none at all, eh.....

To start with - Take off the covers, replace the oil filter and any broken seals, then put the covers back on and check all the bolts are torqued up to the correct spec. Then top up with the correct amount of oil.

If you seed a service manual, there's a load of links around the forum to where you can find free PDF downloads.

Well, I suppose several different brands of approximately correct oil is better than none at all, eh.....

To start with - Take off the covers, replace the oil filter and any broken seals, then put the covers back on and check all the bolts are torqued up to the correct spec. Then top up with the correct amount of oil.

If you seed a service manual, there's a load of links around the forum to where you can find free PDF downloads.

thats what i figured, just wondered if anyone with one knew of any specific things it would likely brake that i wouldnt spot, already got the pdf

anyhow im in no rush, it isnt even registed, and my pile of other engines to fix is sizeable lol

hello, you may not know me, ive been a member for about 12 mins now lol

i came to seek knowledge of dragstars so i might make mine not be broken

anyhow, ill try to keep this short

i went to the us of a for a bike holiday, i bought a vstar 650 from canada for paperwork reasons rode it 12K (aprox 19000 km)miles around the us (well recamended by the way)

and shipped my bike home (not recomended), but its imported, though not registed yet

while out there i ran it almost dry of oil in 2 weeks, and from then on topped it up, but useing 10w40, as i couldnt find 10 30, i figured the wrong oil was better then none, anyhow i think i may have over filled it and it started leaking while i was there

now back in the uk it has 4 brands of oil in it, plus whatever origional 10 30 oil was in there

yes.... im stupid lol, i know better but, well oooops

anyone know what i might have broken by over filling, i susspect a gasket on something

it seems to drip off the where the gear leaver goes into the gearbox, but it is on a side stand

bike is a 99 with 98K killometers (60K ish miles) on the clock

and a puddle of oil under it

chears in advice, sorry i didnt keep it short

joe

so was it leaking oil when you were running around the States ?

yeah, by then end it was

about a week and a half before i came home i stoped at a festival on deluna beach florida, where it was parked for 3 days, normaly i didnt stay anywhere that long

i was using the lovelly white sand...... to collect the drip lol

as Ttasky suggested take cover off gear selector side, clean that area with parrafin and a paintbrush, take it for a run and you should be able to see whether oil is weeping from gear selector or from the main shaft (front sprocket) ?, I dont know the set up of this bike but thats where I would make a start :mellow:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online