xs400 longer swing arm...

aaroncarver
This post is 4902 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Perhaps a dumb question but... I want to change the lines of my xs400 by slightly lowering (angling) the frame member under the seat and lengthening the swing arm by 4 inches. Part of my reasons to do this is to make the bike more comfortable.

Can anybody tell me if it's better to chop the swing arm and extend it, or to create a new swing arm from scratch? I don't weld so I must find someone, and a bike shop in town told me they won't extend a swing arm because of liability. Does making a swing arm longer make the bike a lot more dangerous?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

there will be a lot more stresses on the arm because the steel and tube sizing would be matched to the original length, I would get a radian swingarm (if you can find one)

having said that I've seen 3" stretches done but you need to know what you are doing!

there will be a lot more stresses on the arm because the steel and tube sizing would be matched to the original length, I would get a radian swingarm (if you can find one)

having said that I've seen 3" stretches done but you need to know what you are doing!

hm... I look around. No good just to start from scratch eh? A radian from what year?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online