XVS650 electrical problems

Ray J
This post is 4910 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hiya, I am a new member here and would like to say a big hello to everyone out there. I have a Dragstar xvs650 custom and i have had an electrical fault for a while which i want to get to the bottom of. This is what I know and any help will be greatly appreciated. The battery drains far too quickly when left standing, sometimes overnight! The charging system seems ok putting 14V into the battery when running, but I disconnected the -ve lead from the battery and with a multimeter connected between the -ve terminal on the battery and the -ve lead found out is was drawing over 200ma! I pulled the individual fuses one at a time but no difference. The only one that makes a difference is the main fuse (drops to 50ma when pulled). I also discovered that it drops to virtually nothing if I disconnect the +ve or -ve wires from the rectifier/regulator (which is new) or the terminal block which connects to the starter relay. Could the starter relay be fried? Is there anyway of testing it? I disconnected the other terminal blocks on the loom one by one but no change, just the rectifier or starter relay seem to affect it. If anyone may be able to pass on some knowledge in these matters I would be very, very happy and willing to repay in beer tokens for any sound advice.

Many thanks in advance, Ray

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.