01' Virago 250 chain keeps coming loose

Bohlman
This post is 4732 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey guys,

I have a 2001' Virago 250 which I drive every day. It has about 3,500k on it, and it seems like I have to tighten the chain every 200 or 300 miles, and I'm running out of adjustment. I adjusted it about 200 miles ago this time, and although it's not loose enough to be noisy, the play still moved from 1 & 1/2 inches to 1 & 3/4 inches. I'm just wondering what causes the chain to become loose so quickly. The adjusting stud has a nut and a locknut, and I of course tightened it up after adjustment and checked the adjustment in several different chain positions, all of which were correct (1 & 1/2"). I live very very close to the beach and it rusts like crazy because of the salt air, but this wouldn't cause it to stretch, would it? I keep it pretty lubricated as well. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, and I thank you very much for reading this.

Tim

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.