XVS650 Clutch

gazandjen
This post is 4763 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok so the bike has done 20000 miles. The clutch does not spring back all the way, I have to physically push it (the clutch lever) forwards. The biting point is right at the end. I can only assume new clutch plates are required. If I also added uprated clutch springs, would the biting point be at the begining, instead of the end.

I have adjusted all the cable settings, also replaced the cable which did not help. :(

My last resort is both plates and uprated springs. Can anyone think of anything else I should try?

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The clutch lever should have between 5 and 10mm free play so you will always have to push the clutch lever forward. It will also vary if you try to measure it when the bike is on its side stand and the front wheel turned to the left - needs to be done with the front wheel in line.

My XVS650 has only done 4k and the biting point is right at the end of the travel, just before the free play. Is that like yours or do you mean the biting point is tight up to the bar grip?

I see you have changed the cable so the above may have no relevance whatsoever.

'Fraid I don't know about springs and things.

Mine also bites almost right at the end before you hit the freeplay and I also push the lever out.

I adjusted it to be that way though, as I can hold the feathered clutch at the natural extent of my fingers, meaning I can pootle along without getting an achey hand.

Claires, on the other hand, bites almost as soon as the clutch lever loses contact with the grip. I always stall her bike at least twice if ever I have to ride it!!

BTW - I'm somewhere around the 49,000 mile mark.

The clutch lever should have between 5 and 10mm free play so you will always have to push the clutch lever forward. It will also vary if you try to measure it when the bike is on its side stand and the front wheel turned to the left - needs to be done with the front wheel in line.

My XVS650 has only done 4k and the biting point is right at the end of the travel, just before the free play. Is that like yours or do you mean the biting point is tight up to the bar grip?

I see you have changed the cable so the above may have no relevance whatsoever.

'Fraid I don't know about springs and things.

The biting point is not at the grip end but fully out, If I don't assist in pushing out, it slips. I have ordered new plates anyway and will probably upgrade the springs too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online