1970 yamaha ct-175

Sitzmann420
This post is 4781 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone-

Here's a quick introduction. I am new to motorcyles, and just bought my first one a few days ago.I got the urge to want to ride this summer and found a great beginners bike. Its a 70' ct-175. I happen to find it on craigslist for 400$. It only has 1900 miles on it has been garaged kept and looks nice. But id rather be able to ride it than just look nice ha-ha. So anyway I when I bought it, the points had been removed. Not knowing too much I had my friend put in a new condenser and points. I also put a new battery in it. I tried to kick it over a few times but we were getting no spark. I am also wondering what the correct point gap measurement is??We checked the plug and it was new.Unfortunately my friend (who knows bikes) had to go out of town, and im very anxious to get this bike on the rode.... Just looking for some troubleshooting on what the problem may be? Thanks guys.

Heres a picture of my bike Picture022.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone-

Here's a quick introduction. I am new to motorcyles, and just bought my first one a few days ago.I got the urge to want to ride this summer and found a great beginners bike. Its a 70' ct-175. I happen to find it on craigslist for 400$. It only has 1900 miles on it has been garaged kept and looks nice. But id rather be able to ride it than just look nice ha-ha. So anyway I when I bought it, the points had been removed. Not knowing too much I had my friend put in a new condenser and points. I also put a new battery in it. I tried to kick it over a few times but we were getting no spark. I am also wondering what the correct point gap measurement is??We checked the plug and it was new.Unfortunately my friend (who knows bikes) had to go out of town, and im very anxious to get this bike on the rode.... Just looking for some troubleshooting on what the problem may be? Thanks guys.

Heres a picture of my bike Picture022.jpg

Hi

The manual I use is Haynes (ISBN 0 85696 210 4) it lists 93cc through to 171cc AT CT and DT,

The points gap stated is 0.012~0.015"(0.3~0.4 mm).

When I adjust the points on my DT, I hold the advance retard mechanism to full advance via the small hole in the advance weight arm.

The points should open at 0.07” BTDC (1.8mm).

Be sure that there is no path to earth for the wire to the points, if there is it will not spark.

Hope this is the answer you are looking for.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online