Wiring harness 79 xs400

aaroncarver
This post is 4918 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi y'all. Newbie from Milwaukee! I'm new to the site and new to motorcycles. Thanks to everyone for the invaluable input! I've looked around for another thread regarding my questions, so if I'm being redundant please direct me to where I need to go. (I have looked)

I've got a 1979 xs400 that I used to go to work a few years back. I recently decided to rebuild the bike down to it's most elemental parts. My goal is to end up with a sweet bike and learn everything about my bike in the process. I'm willing to take my time. I've removed most everything and just tonight I removed the wiring harness. (labeling everything) The insulation on all of the wires is brittle and in many places cracked. I now know why I had so many problems riding in the rain (ha ha) So, I have to replace the wiring harness.

My questions: Is there an aftermarket wiring harness available from a website I haven't been able to find? Can anyone recommend a method by which I might rebuild the wiring harness from scratch? Can anyone point me to an alternate wiring schematic that is better than the original?

I'm not interested in restoring the bike to its original specs, but learning how to adapt my bike into the best machine possible. I know my questions might require long answers, but since I'm approaching my bike from a holistic standpoint, I'm willing to risk asking. If there were a xs400 god, what would that god direct his worshipers to do regarding the electronics?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi y'all. Newbie from Milwaukee! I'm new to the site and new to motorcycles. Thanks to everyone for the invaluable input! I've looked around for another thread regarding my questions, so if I'm being redundant please direct me to where I need to go. (I have looked)

I've got a 1979 xs400 that I used to go to work a few years back. I recently decided to rebuild the bike down to it's most elemental parts. My goal is to end up with a sweet bike and learn everything about my bike in the process. I'm willing to take my time. I've removed most everything and just tonight I removed the wiring harness. (labeling everything) The insulation on all of the wires is brittle and in many places cracked. I now know why I had so many problems riding in the rain (ha ha) So, I have to replace the wiring harness.

My questions: Is there an aftermarket wiring harness available from a website I haven't been able to find? Can anyone recommend a method by which I might rebuild the wiring harness from scratch? Can anyone point me to an alternate wiring schematic that is better than the original?

the wiring diagram provided by haynes etc are pretty coomprehensive, if you are bringing it back to standard, they are the best! I would use the exsisting harness as a template. try speedsport (yamahatopdog) if you have money to buy a new one. try the xs650'sor RD 400 sites and you make be able to adapt one for the 400 (never tried it, but worth a try)mike's xs or HVC cycle

I'm not interested in restoring the bike to its original specs, but learning how to adapt my bike into the best machine possible. I know my questions might require long answers, but since I'm approaching my bike from a holistic standpoint, I'm willing to risk asking. If there were a xs400 god, what would that god direct his worshipers to do regarding the electronics?

best machine possible? it depends on what you want from the bike, poser, commuter, show bike!

thanks. I was hoping someone might be able to alert me to tricks and tips to deal with what looks to be a painstaking job. I guess I'll just have drink lots of coffee and dedicate the time. Does anyone recommend increasing the wire gauge? is that at all beneficial? or is that a really bad idea.

thanks. I was hoping someone might be able to alert me to tricks and tips to deal with what looks to be a painstaking job. I guess I'll just have drink lots of coffee and dedicate the time. Does anyone recommend increasing the wire gauge? is that at all beneficial? or is that a really bad idea.

modern wiring is actually thinner, so its easier to use.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online