1980 dt 175 rectifier

ohiohunter
This post is 4915 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi all. i am a new member to this forum and new to the world of yamaha. i have recently acquired a 1980 yamaha dt 175 from my father-in-law that has been sitting in a barn for 10 years or so. got it home the other day and after a couple of kicks it started right up! rode it for a half-hour or so and then put it away so i could start cleaning it up. cleaned everything up and today after filling with new gas, 2 stroke oil, and new crankcase oil, i couldn't fire it up. won't even try to start. figured maybe i forgot to hook something up, and started looking around the bike. i found that the rectifier (DE41 is listed on it) has one tab that is broken off. also, i am getting gas coming out of the carb's overflow? while i need to take apart the carb and find out why gas is coming out, i am wondering if the bike will fire with no rectifier? right now it has no battery either. i have found a rectifier used on ebay i am going to get, but i wasn't sure if this is needed to fire the bike up. sorry, if this may have been covered in the past, like i said, i am new to the forum. i am coming from the world of triumph, so while i understand some about vintage bikes, i am new to 2 strokes. thanks, keith

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hi all. i am a new member to this forum and new to the world of yamaha. i have recently acquired a 1980 yamaha dt 175 from my father-in-law that has been sitting in a barn for 10 years or so. got it home the other day and after a couple of kicks it started right up! rode it for a half-hour or so and then put it away so i could start cleaning it up. cleaned everything up and today after filling with new gas, 2 stroke oil, and new crankcase oil, i couldn't fire it up. won't even try to start. figured maybe i forgot to hook something up, and started looking around the bike. i found that the rectifier (DE41 is listed on it) has one tab that is broken off. also, i am getting gas coming out of the carb's overflow? while i need to take apart the carb and find out why gas is coming out, i am wondering if the bike will fire with no rectifier? right now it has no battery either. i have found a rectifier used on ebay i am going to get, but i wasn't sure if this is needed to fire the bike up. sorry, if this may have been covered in the past, like i said, i am new to the forum. i am coming from the world of triumph, so while i understand some about vintage bikes, i am new to 2 strokes. thanks, keith

Greetings Ohiohunter, and a post in the 'Noobs' forum?

Dont ya just love these old DT's :lol:

Nahh battery and rectifier not needed to run the engine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online