FAQ or GUIDES at yamahaclub.com

Twisted2004
This post is 7112 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

FAQ or GUIDES at yamahaclub.com  

5 members have voted

1. 1. FAQ or GUIDES at yamahaclub.com

• Good Idea?
    • Bad Idea?
    • Not bothered

I'd like to see a FAQ or guide section in the forum.

A bit like 'marchys' brake guide.

It might reduce the amount of repeated questions and answers.

I'd be happy to contribute to making guides. I'm always taking my bike to bits, so taking a couple of pics and adding some text shouldnt be too much of a problem. 8)

What does everybody think?? :?: :?:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I think the workshop forum is the best.

You don;t get any nonsense and it's always full of posts that are worth reading.

If you had a how to guide then it would just become a reference library.

I kinda tend to agree with both points of view......a FAQ area is not a bad idea...especially for newbies :wink:

But the Workshop area does work well.....@ least IMO.

I've always been a believer in the old addage....Don't Fix It, If It Ain't Broke :D

The main problem here is that we get beseiged with numbskulls asking daft fucking questions.

The Mods and myself have run round in the past and found the info for them, but the people concerned never bother to make any worthwhile contribution to the forum itself after that.

So in the end we think...why fucking bother?

In principle, what you suggest is a good idea, but it's an awful lot of work to do when you consider the lack of response we've had in the past.

I actually agree with all your points.

If you had a how to guide then it would just become a reference library.

True, but the guides could be used in conjunction with feedback from other members.

I kinda tend to agree with both points of view......a FAQ area is not a bad idea...especially for newbies

Thats what i'm semi thinking, I kinda feel that if the same questions are asked over and over again, people are gonna get sick of replying to the messages.

The FAQs or guides could just be at the top of the list in the workshop forum. So if somebody is having problems about there bike idling, there could be a fixed post that says say "Bike Idling Check List"

So if a newbie comes in to ask the idling question, theres already a simple check list they can refer to before they ask the repeated question.

Ie

Check Lines

Overhaul Carb

Clean Lines

Balance Floats etc

But then like Unmutual says if theres no response then why bother!

Jus throught it may make people lives a little less frustrating!

It's a problem today on all forums (not just bike ones) that people are just so fucking lazy and stupid.

If you wanted info on something, what would you do first? Google search!

Then maybe you'd get a link to a forum that deals with that subject.

Now common sense tells you to do a search on that forum using the search facility.

But they don't...they just put up their dumbass question in a new post.

So we end up doing the searches for them.

You could fill the place up with reference guides, but nobody would search.

Your idea is good....but it would be wasted on the terminally gormless I'm afraid. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

If you wanted info on something, what would you do first? Google search!  

Then maybe you'd get a link to a forum that deals with that subject.  

Now common sense tells you to do a search on that forum using the search facility.  

But they don't...they just put up their dumbass question in a new post.

How true! If they took the time to read they would find the answer to the Q, there and then, not have to bother signing up (I wouldn't miss them, lol) and they would be on their merry way, not waiting for someone else to do the hard work for them, use your own brain first, it's much more fun, idiots!

So the FAQ section, in most cases, wouldn't work for them, nothing will work for them. so the question is, would it be good for the current selection of forum users? I think yes. Lets just pretend that the lazy idiots that frequent all forums don't exist and make this a better place for us that use it.....

oh one thing, my bike is broken, how do I fix it? is it the tyres??? (sorry)

sorry unmutual,i dont agree wiv most of the negatives how can you call all people lazy bastards (yeah i know quite easily :wink: :wink: ) :roll: , but the idea of the workshop referance sounds like a great idea. (speaking for myself) if you had one informing peps of the above mentioned threads, it would save you all gettin your noses outta place when sumone like me joins the site asking daft/simple questions! sometimes people only ask cause they aint got a clue where to look, i mean i didn't before i asked you lot!!! i for one would be quite willing to stick sum photos of the shite i find wrong on my bike (bear in mind i ain't ever done nowt my fzr 600 before only thing ive ever touched wi two wheels was a ktm 250 mx i bodged together n sold, fast but what a piece of shit!!), but i'd still do it, then once its all done if people ask questions tell them to look in the referance area if they still ask, THEN call em lazy, ingnorant bastards an tell em to piss off n buy a idiot manual (haynes) an do it themselves!!!!! saves a lot of time repeatin answers to questions as sum1 mentioned!!!!