Non Starter 650 Dragstar

Guest LaFiamma
This post is 4840 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Guest LaFiamma

Hi lads,

Been having an issue with starting the Dragstar for the last week, hit the ignition and i could hear the stator whirring but no fire until i gave a couple of twists of the throttle. Now the aftermarket alarm installed on it nearly 2 years ago had been acting up a small bit. When i hit arm / disarm on the keyfob then the all the indicators would flash with a corresponding beep. Since the end of January only the left indicators would flash when hitting arm / disarm. And when coming home after a long spin 2 weeks ago the left indicators came on 3 / 4 times - not flashing, they stayed on static for about 30 seconds at a time. So i decided better have a look. I followed all the leads checking for breaks and could find none. There was corrosion on the fuse but that was the extent of it. I had to replace the multi pin relay last year dry.gif so dissconnected it checked the condition and reconnected it.

Now the problem has worsened. I get no reaction from the bike at all when i try to start it. The best way to explain it is if you try to start a bike with the kill switch in the off position or with the sidestand down while in gear. Turn key. Lots of power. All lights come on, neutral light and engine warning light come on then engine light goes off. Kill switch in run position and chole open. Hit the ignition and absoluty nothing happens. The lights dont even dim.

Now i have a second multi pin relay and put this in to see if that was it but no joy. Ive checked the sidestand switch its ok. I CAN bump start it with no problems, but it wont re start with ignition. All fuses are fine.

Im working all day tomorrow so wednesday is the next chance ill get at looking at it. Ill dissconnect the alarm to see if thats whats causing it, also a friend of mine said to cross the contacts on the solenoid and try to start it that way, but my understanding of doing this is really a way of checking low batt??

Anyway id say id pick your brains to see if ive over looked anything.

Oh worth mentioning one more thing, i disconnected the batt ( after this issue had occured ), however id neglected to switch off the ignition while doing it.. :o Dont know if that may be relevant but i thought worth mentioning.

Thanks

L

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My first thought is a shorted/loose connection or some further corrosion somewhere. Wires *can* rust out inside their plastic sleeves, so this could be a full top to tail check of the wiring.

Check teh alarm, yes, but pay particular attention to all the earthing points as well.

Guest LaFiamma

Isolated alarm from bike today, no difference. Crossed contacts on the starter solenoid, bike fired up and then died after couple of revs. After trying a few more times with no joy - could hear whirring from crankcase but no fire, changed plugs also no joy. Re connected alarm for the night but left the grips and elec socket off. Tomorrow going to see if i can cross the leads on the sidestand switch and the clutch switch. But have sinking feeling its that bastard of a relay again. dry.gif Should be easier this time around to get another though if it is....

TBC....

Guest LaFiamma

My first thought is a shorted/loose connection or some further corrosion somewhere. Wires *can* rust out inside their plastic sleeves, so this could be a full top to tail check of the wiring.

Check teh alarm, yes, but pay particular attention to all the earthing points as well.

Where are the earthing points and what should i look for?

Thanks ;)

It's earthed wherever the wire connects to the frame.

Just check it's not loose or corroded.

• 1 month later...
Guest LaFiamma

Have not had much chance to look at this until this week. ( when i find the solution to a problem ill always post it up for anyone else). Suffice to say it wont still wont start at all, wont even fire on a bump start. Convinced myself it was the relay, found one, got the money together, ordered it, and turns out in my haste i ordered the wrong one. Found another, checked it twice, got the money together ordered it and when it arrived yesterday it made no bloody difference at all!!! <_< I already tested the sidestand and clutch switch to see if they were causing the problem. So then i took off the tank to get in at the connecter blocks to test the kill switch, no problem there. Thinking of starter solenoid i disconnected the M neg lead, turned the key with kill switch set to run. Should have heard an audible click but heard nothing. Checked both 30a fuses again just to be sure and they are both fine. Removed solenoid completly checked continuity, found none which is correct. Applied a fully charged 12v battery via jump cables to the contacts on the solenoid, no clicking and no continuity.

So looks like the solenoid is the problem! Found one on ebay and have ordered it so fingers crossed. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest LaFiamma

Got her back last night..

Problem ended up being severe corrosion in the wiring in the connecter block for the ICU, looked fine from the outside, checked the wires a few times, had the ICU out a couple of times... then myself and Pat sliced open the sleeve holding the wires together, sure as soon as the tension was released 2 of the wires popped out one after the other, stripped them down, cleaned them and popped them back in... and she fired up straight away, Deefuckinglighted doesnt describe it :D

Now just have to fix the clutch motor before skerries and im set, knew it was on the way out but i thought id have awhile left on it yet, no such luck unfortunately

Thanks lads for all your help, and to Pat who aint on the site for his help, good on ya ;);)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online