1995 FZR 600r (Foxeye) Starting problems

rbaggers
This post is 4915 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

Well, bought the bike off my mate, nice nick, but has been standing in his shed for 10 years, last ran 6 years ago i understand.. Have put a new Fuel pump in as the first one was knackered, cleaned out carbs, New battery and plugs but.... When I try to start it, mostly it starts, splutters a bit then dies, won't idle and wont let me rev it, thats with the choke on full. Also the tacho needle goes a bit haywire when the ignition is on. Occasionally I can get it revving, but need to keep it quite high to stop it stalling ad in any case this is once in a blue moon. My brother had better luck by partially covering the air intake, so starving it of air. Seemed to start much more easily. SO thought the choke may be the problem, but it appears fine. I have heard that The Tacho going wrong is an indication of a defective CDi unit, but don't want to go buying one of those if it is something else. I also thought about messing with the air mixture screws, in case it was running rich, but i don't know the factory settings and can't see why they waould be a problem if it aint been messed with in years. Any help/advice would be very much intereste.. its a long while since I messed around wit bikes..

Cheers

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Checked rubbers tonight, they are ok as are the sync tubes off them. The new pump comes on as it should when the ignition goes on and when trying to start it. Carbs getting fuel.... it's a mystery yet probably something really simple

I,m assuming float heights are ok? From the symptoms you describe, it seems to be running lean. Might be worth looking at the carbs again. Is the tank ok? Carbs might be drawing in dirt/sediment/rust, etc.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online