XS650 known electrical problems

outbackbob
This post is 4924 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Greetings Yamahaclub;

I am new to this site but not to the Yamaha 650. I purchased my "XS650 Special" new in 1981 and have recently resurrected it after not having ridden it for about 15 years. It just clicked over 10,000 miles. I have since resolved the known petcock issue with this model so fuel system seems to be behaving well. I charged and serviced the battery and started it up for the first time yesterday since October 2010 when I stopped riding for the winter. I was about 7 miles down the road when the bike just died - no sputtering, no surging, just dead. I suspect this is an electrical problem. Fuel was in the tank and flowing freely from the new petcock. Fuses seem to be fine and bike will turn over but will not start. If anyone here is aware of any known electrical problems with this model I would sure appreciate your suggestions as to what I need to replace to get my bike back on the road. Looking forward to your informed recommendations.

Sincerely, Bob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online