DT 125 lc with mongrel engine

This post is 4921 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my DT 125 lc MK2 blew up yesterday, so naturally i took the barrel off to noticed that the top of the piston had melted, not too much of a problem as it's an easy repair. but i've noticed that the bottom end of the engine is a MK2 engine (the square one without ypvs) and the barrel is a MK3 (Round with a powervalve) and that they aren't designed to go together as the water cooling channels are on the opposite side of the engine, someone has bodged the 2 parts together using silicon rubber and blocking up the water channels!!

what should i do?

i have found a set of engines on ebay

ebay link

i could put it back to how it's supposed to be without a powervalve, but quite pricey. how are the pre-ypvs engines? do they have as much power at the top end rpm as the ypvs ones and suffer at the bottom or have they made them so they are better at the bottom end of the revs? i liked how i could alter the powervalve to how i wanted it to respond, fully open for going fast on the road, and closed for towns and off-roading.

if anyone has a spare barrel and head for a MK1 or 2 LC i would rather just buy that than 2 complete engines so let me know, im going to new york on saturday though so may not be able to respond, depending on the internet situation there.

thank you to anyone that can help

Lee

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online