DT 175 MX Rebuild

philmountains
This post is 4919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi I have been very slowly building this bike up from bits for the last 15 years,I was given a pile of bits - 2 wheels a engine minus piston, pair of handelbar with switches and a rear swinging arm with monoshock from a friend at work, as soon as I saw the rear monoshock and round section swinging arm I knew it was a 175 MX which I always wanted,just missed out with the 250 learner bracket came in.

Anyway I have just got myself a frame with V5"ebay" and due to cost of fuel getting shut of car so can carry on with the build again, not an exact/showroom rebuild due to lack of cash which is one of the main reasons taken 15 years but a bike for getting to work and a bit of off road as live very close to Yorkshire dales.

My first post is Re -front forks I have 2 pairs both pitted one pair OK around the movement area but crap around the Yokes the other not as bad around Yokes but pitted were it counts, so was looking at early drum braked DT125 LC forks as a replacement as these are a hell of a lot cheaper than any MX forks or dare I say rechrome and grind job to the originals what do you think any probs with this idea ? size, length,spindle dia,

Thanks for any help

Phil

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi phill " the diameter of tubes , could be diff, not shure tho, also the offset wheel spindle, Early DTmx had wheel mounted directly below stantions, .

I see you have a triple also , & a Z750, the bike that ended the production of the H2 750. :( slower also. so mutch for progress eh ,,, Wheres you at ?

Hi phill " the diameter of tubes , could be diff, not shure tho, also the offset wheel spindle, Early DTmx had wheel mounted directly below stantions, .

I see you have a triple also , & a Z750, the bike that ended the production of the H2 750. :( slower also. so mutch for progress eh ,,, Wheres you at ?

Hi I am in Skipton North Yorks,i am afraid all my bikes dont run and are under a cover of dust in the garage ,have had the Kh years and years, all stopped with the production of Kids and working on the house!!!!!!! yeh no what you mean with offset wheel spindle but the Yanks DT MX of same vintage had offset forks, not to bothered about true rebuild just to get a bike on the road and get shut of car to save cash/fuel costs!!

did a list of bits requred last night at work and its bloody frightening !,been buying bits for the 175MX for years, and have had some great finds like a 125MX frame engine swinging arm for 25 quid, and when you used to get stuff cheap from the states through ebay some real buys but ebays getting dear now dont you think ?

Think i will start with getting this new frame sorted has few bits that need making, some knob cut off the rear indicator mounts and helmet lock point this will be a cheap free job .

I think I also noticed you had a Gillera 50 MX moped I saw one of these last winter rusting away, up in a Dales farmyard ,they were a great looking fifty.

Thanks again and all the best to you up there in one of my Favourite places on the planet

Phil

Its not the leading link that will be an issue, i would expect the LC forks to be around 4-6 inches longer than the MX forks to get the extra travel.

Don't know for certain but i would certainly check before buying any as that is a lot of extra height to cope with on the front.......

Hi I am in Skipton North Yorks,i am afraid all my bikes dont run and are under a cover of dust in the garage ,have had the Kh years and years, all stopped with the production of Kids and working on the house!!!!!!! yeh no what you mean with offset wheel spindle but the Yanks DT MX of same vintage had offset forks, not to bothered about true rebuild just to get a bike on the road and get shut of car to save cash/fuel costs!!

did a list of bits requred last night at work and its bloody frightening !,been buying bits for the 175MX for years, and have had some great finds like a 125MX frame engine swinging arm for 25 quid, and when you used to get stuff cheap from the states through ebay some real buys but ebays getting dear now dont you think ?

Think i will start with getting this new frame sorted has few bits that need making, some knob cut off the rear indicator mounts and helmet lock point this will be a cheap free job .

I think I also noticed you had a Gillera 50 MX moped I saw one of these last winter rusting away, up in a Dales farmyard ,they were a great looking fifty.

Thanks again and all the best to you up there in one of my Favourite places on the planet

Phil

Hi and thanks for your reply never even gave extra length a thought !!anyway sorry if I am being bit of a gloat, but just got another DT175MX off good old ebay"not picked up yet"!?, basket case(TAX DISC SHOWN!!!!!!!!), so this will defiantly help in allot of ways ooooooooooooo Imm so excited and all this after 16 bloody years !

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online