diversion 600 starter motor

j best
This post is 5917 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The starter motor on my div 600 is playing up - at first it appeared to jam, but would then clear and work normally. Now it turns but makes a `ratcheting` sound, as though the starter clutch is not gripping - it doesn`t turn the engine over. Some times it will work ok and then it does this - mostly this now ! Does anyone have any ideas - do i really have to strip the engine and split the crank cases to loo at the starter clutch ? any advice gratefully received. I am even considering a replacement engine from a breaker at about £200 as a quicker/simpler option !

By the way, my engine has done about 32000 miles and apart from a bit of vibration around 4000/5000 rpm, is fine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • 3 years later...

hmmm...mine's also just on about 32k miles and the starter is playing up in this way... click and nothing, or occasionally an eeeerergh eeeerergh from the starter and then nothing (and has got worse over the last few weeks). Battery fully charged. Will be stripping out the starter motor in case the carbon brushes (available from wemoto) are the fault, when I get a minute to look at it. I don't fancy splitting cases at all :o (and I'll take a spanner to most things...).

Cheers,

Nigel

oh, and on mine, the engine does turn when the starter decides to attempt to do its job....

Folks, not quite the same problem but probably related... XT600E... tried to start it when the battary was low, turned over a few times OK but then the battery died, fully charged and checked the battery but now get nothing but a slight click and slight dimming of the neutral light. Tow started it this morning hoping that the clutch would let go but no joy... It started OK and ran.. what a bastard, even in top gear the rear wheel locks up !!! Not funny when you are sideways on to the tow car. Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Folks, not quite the same problem but probably related... XT600E... tried to start it when the battary was low, turned over a few times OK but then the battery died, fully charged and checked the battery but now get nothing but a slight click and slight dimming of the neutral light. Tow started it this morning hoping that the clutch would let go but no joy... It started OK and ran.. what a bastard, even in top gear the rear wheel locks up !!! Not funny when you are sideways on to the tow car. Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Just noticed I have somehow managed to list myself as a 'Proffessional' not so, very much an amateur.. :rolleyes:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online