Dt50mx restoration questions :)

ryanwilki
This post is 4929 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, for the past 2 months or so ive been restoring my 1993 dt50mx.

upto now i have bare metalled the whole bike and coated it in red oxide, then gloss blacked it, redone the brakes and cables. Then masked of the rims and tyres and painted the hubs and spokes. i rebuilt the wiring loom with new connections. Ive stripped the engine and had the crankshaft rebuilt with a new conrod. Put in new crank bearing and seals, new clutch plates and the rest of the seals replaced. And put it all back together with a new gasket set. I also put a new big bore kit on as that is what i had on last time before the piston melted so wont have to re-jet the carb when i start it up (hopefully). picture shows where im upto now:

image-1.jpg

image2.jpg

I have a few questions before i build the rest of it up and start it up!

1. i have replaced the coil, do i need to replace the plug cap too?

2. Mines a 1993 and was going to put in new points and condender but cant find any behind the stator rotor, am i right in saying the bike doesnt have points and condenser because it is the later model that uses a CDI?

3. other than buying a new air filter, spark plug and oil, is there anything else i should repace or do before i do the first start up? I am going to clean out the carb too.

4. how do i bring the plastics back to their best? There looking a bit tired, all faded and marked, anybody have any secrets they'd like to share? i just dont want the bike to be mint and then the plastics let it down.

any replies greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Ryan.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online