125 or 250?

plain darren
This post is 7249 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Definitley worth saving up extra and getting a 250. The 3XV is the best looking of the 250 strokers I reckon. Or you could get a TZR125R (UK model) or a TZR125RR (Italian import). Whatever you do, don't get the original TZR125 or the 250 2MA. Nothing wrong with them at all (I've owned both), it's just the later models look so much better.

Mick.

Got my test booked for a week after my birthday, and got several lessons booked between now and then.

good lad, you'll be a real biker then, get it passed and no excuses mind :lol:

He's 16 and he hasn't passed his test.

Ah, well, in that case get a TZR125R. It looks the same as the TZR250 v-twin and goes well too. Learn how to go round corners on that before you jump on to something that will get you into trouble, or a hedge. Any fool can go fast in a straight line, it's learning how to put the corners together well that's the most fun. Much fun to be had tazzing about on a 125 for a couple of years. I passed my test on a 125 so had the 33bhp restriction for 2 years, then bought a TZR250.

Mick.

Lets see, should you buy a more powerful or less powerful bike. Well if you hadn't fallen off your other bike and broken your arm it would have been a difficult decision. However I think that you are the sort of person who should do their time on every rung of the ladder, next time it might not be a broken arm, or they might not be able to fix it.

Don't run before you can walk or you might end up never being able to run again. Whatever you get make sure it's got good brakes and easily replacable plastics, and is cheap to insure.

Learn how to go round corners on that before you jump on to something that will get you into trouble, or a hedge. Any fool can go fast in a straight line, it's learning how to put the corners together well that's the most fun.

uhhmm well achully ive perfectly fine with corners, only ever come close to having the back lose traction once because i hit the power to earlyer...yet i managed to nail myself going down a stright :oops: :oops: :oops:

the main reason i got a 400 was the fact that in tottal it cost me less that a 125 would have cost me, insrueance was the main big diffrence, as well as bike price

400cc bike

bike = £1000

test = £329

insureance = £400tpft

restrictor = £200 (big waste of money, they only lasted to weeks :S )

total = £2000

125cc

bike = £1500 for a half decent one

insureance = £1300 tpft

total = £2800

see the diffrence? only bummer is, ya gotta pass ya test!

restrictor = £200 (big waste of money, they only lasted to weeks :S )

Gotta keep those insurance bods happy though :)

125cc

bike = £1500 for a half decent one

insureance = £1300 tpft

Bloody hell! I paid £525 for my TZR125 and around £300 for TPF&T insurance. OK, the bike didn't look too good, but it went like sh*t off a shiny shovel. I'm a believer in 'serving your time' on smaller bikes (not necessarily low power bikes) eg TZR250, RGV250, 400s etc so you learn how to use what you've got, not simply open the throttle to go fast. On a 125, or a 250 for that matter, the skill is in keeping the bike in the power and keeping the corner speed up. I was suggesting that perhaps it's a better idea to start small and build up gradually. The first time I rode a 250 after selling my 125 it was a shock- more than twice the power, and only 20kg heavier- heaven :)

Mick.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online