Rat Black Virago XV125

MoreBeer
This post is 4419 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As my Virago is slowly turning into a rat bike I figured I'd give it a paint job to suit, well that and the fact that various parts have been treated with Kurerust and the side panels were different colours from the rest of the bike..

Anyway, it's now matt black, as that's the only paint I had to hand lol.

Other modifications to the bike are renthal handlebars (temporary as the originals were bent, more custom like bars are in the shed, just waiting til I get paid to get some Bar End mirrors for them) Currently has some cheap as chips taiwanese mirrors but I don't like them :)

The photo makes it look better than it really is, the paitn job is crap as I have no real spraying skills, however it's still tidier than it was beforehand. Next up will be home made fork gaiters...

P240311_1034.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Looking good mate,don't go with the twin dominator headlights though,they look good but trust me they throw out less light than a flickering candle,i soon swapped mine back

Looking good mate,don't go with the twin dominator headlights though,they look good but trust me they throw out less light than a flickering candle,i soon swapped mine back

I'm keeping the standard lights unless they decide to die :P As I said in the OP this is a bike that will turn into a ratbike, there's no turning it into a gothic bike :D It'll basically look like a bag of nails but be mechanically sound!

It only cost me £400 as a partial runner anyway and it's cost me a whole £60 to get it roadworthy again. In fact I'd wager it's in better shape than it's been for the past 5 years. The guy that owned it before me must have had the mechanical aptitude of a baboon, because I have found so many cross threaded bolts it's unreal (all the airbox bolts, the oil filler cap..one spark plug..speaking of which it also had the wrong type of spark plugs..)

I'm no mechanic, but even I can put a bolt in without mashing it up :rolleyes:

• 11 months later...

Hey, not a bad start you've made. My bike wasn't particularly well looked after either when I first got it, so I can sympathise. At least yours still has indicators and a tail light. :P

I've got a few suggestions for improvement, looks wise:

-Solo hard seat, always cleans up the lines of a bike, gives a more vintage, chopper look.

-Tyre hugging rear mudguard. Very simple job if you're able to use an angle grinder and a welder. Rat bikes often have very short rear fenders.

-Matt Black VHT paint on engine and exhaust.

-Black wheel rims. Bit of a pain to do but looks way better and a lot tidier as Yamaha chrome wheels ALWAYS rust.

-Pretty much any chrome or silver alloy/finish painted black. Bars, fork ends, yokes, shocks, chain guard, foot pegs, etc.

-Small indicators, I've used black bullet indicators on mine, you can't see them until they're in use and they really clean up the appearance of the bike.

-Exhaust wrap. Pretty cheap and looks really rat.

-Military netting over the fuel tank, great for keeping luggage in place.

What sort of fork gaiters are you looking to use/make? I find the springy rubber ones look pretty cool on rat bikes, but I'm curious to know how you plan to DIY some.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online