R1 motor into an R7 or R6

Guest JMW
This post is 7231 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I guess we have all seen the R71's on TV but getting down to the nitty gritty, you can get a fresh R1 motor for not too much and an R6 quite reasonably.

Not sure about R7's though..

How hard is it really going to be to make an R71 or an R61 ? Would the R6 be much weaker base for the 1 litre beastie than an R7 ?

The inspiration for this comes from seeing a heap of cool R1's and such like, gotta have something a bit different next year....

J

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you are mixing up....

the r71 means an R1 bike, with R7 looks (fairings, lights etc) not the other way around. what you are describing would be an R17... ie.. a R7 bike with R1 engine....

pros would be that no one has an bike like that since the genuine R7, with the 750 engine is capable of makin +150 hp @ rearwheel and the R1 engine hardly puts over 140hp @ rearwheel. plus the R7 engine is WAY WAY more sophisticated and much lighter, hence making the bike seriously faster at the race-track.

so... if i ever catch one stupid motha.... piip... putting an R1 serie-engine to an R7 and remove the state of the art 750 engine i think i have to hit him with something blunt and heavy :x

besides that its just bloody stupid to make an R17 its going to be quite costy since genuine R7´s run for around 20 000 euros while an R1 can be bought for 5-6th eur.

the other enginechange that you describe (R1 engine in an R6) makes somewhat more sense but not much. the R1 frame does not weight 5kg more that the R6 frame so theres not really any point in doing this. its marginally bigger but just for the kicks of it one could possibly place an R1 engine in an R6. no point really....

what you could do is putting the avesome R7 fairings into an R1 or R6, putting in an turbo-charger and all this within 12000euros, thus creating an avesomelooking bike that has 220 genuine hp @ rearwheel....

peace :D

I think the point of building an R17 was to build a bike that had the chassis of the R7, and the power of a standard R1. It was cheaper for smaller road racing teams to go down this route rather than fork out for the full R7 race kit from Yamaha, and then try and develop the motor to put out competitive power.

You've got to love the looks of the R7 though. Yam should definitely produce an affordable 750 'R' series bike.

Mick.

You've got to love the looks of the R7 though. Yam should definitely produce an affordable 750 'R' series bike.

Mick.

I second that motion! :tu 8)

Ditto..

It's an R7 with the R1 motor or an R6 with an R1 motor.

The R71's doing the SE asia circuit last and this year are R7's with a modified chassis to take the juicer R1 engine. Apparently the end result is of similar magnitude to the jump from a CB900 to the first Blades.

I dunno if I could afford an R7 - I seriously doubt it unless something good happens hence, the R6 idea. You can get them at reasonable prices and a good R1 lump would provide the grunt to make it a real beast of a bike.

Going to look into this a bit further :twisted:

I think I got that but the thing is, the R1 motor responds better to cams, pipes and a head job. Valves in particular - (I love cylinder heads.)

I really don't know much about the R7 motor, a mate has one and he isn't too impressed with it and is trading it for an R1.

J

jmw what cterror was saying is that the r1 engine doesnt produce as much bhp as the r7 engine as the r7 engine is much lighter and very highly tuned!

A stock early R1 will spank a stock R7, maybe not around a track but certainly on a dyno. The R7 only made sense when you threw the race kit at it.

Mick.

A stock early R1 will spank a stock R7, maybe not around a track but certainly on a dyno. The R7 only made sense when you threw the race kit at it.

Mick.

this is true!

but honestly who would buy an 20th eur bike and not throw in the 3-4th eur to make the bike lightningfast??!

and there is one other thing about the fastness of an bike at racetrack.... even if you had an R7 and an R1 putting out equal amount of power and both weighting the absolute same, the R7 would still be quicker at track.

This is becourse of an larger displacement engine needs larger internal parts, and there is really no option for this (except with F1/MotoGP tech), hence making the bike with the larger displacement engine slower in turns, in direction changes and making the bike handle "as a bigger bike". thats just physics and there is no way around them :D

but honestly who would buy an 20th eur bike and not throw in the 3-4th eur to make the bike lightningfast??!

and there is one other thing about the fastness of an bike at racetrack.... even if you had an R7 and an R1 putting out equal amount of power and both weighting the absolute same, the R7 would still be quicker at track.

Possibly. But if the bikes are putting out the same power then surely the R1 will be easier to ride? The 750 would be peakier. OK, so I'm splitting hairs here ;)

Still, if I had that kind of money to spend on an R7, I'd buy the R7 and stick an RD500 motor in the chassis- YZR500 rep anyone? Oh yes :)

Mick.

Possibly. But if the bikes are putting out the same power then surely the R1 will be easier to ride? The 750 would be peakier. OK, so I'm splitting hairs here ;)

Still, if I had that kind of money to spend on an R7, I'd buy the R7 and stick an RD500 motor in the chassis- YZR500 rep anyone? Oh yes :)

Mick.

actually... the R7 EFI injection is a complex one. it is an twin-injection with longer and shorter injectors, yelding power to the whole powerband more equally than R1 carbs (the old98-R1), and even more so than the EFI in the new R1.

have to agree you with the YZR500rep thou :D

Mick.

Why would you do that ? The RD500 motor is an untuneable lump and would maybe, just about hold it's ground against a well fettled 250cc racer.

I've put a heavily tuned RD500 engine into the better chassis of the Jap RZV500 to make use of the best of all RD500 tech. and the results are still disappointing.

I've started casually looking for an R7 and at least I have some time to find a bike because, at this moment, the doe isn't there.

If the R7 option doesn't happen then it's an R6 that's going to get the treatment.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you do that ?

Because 2 strokes rock. :D

I've put a heavily tuned RD500 engine into the better chassis of the Jap RZV500 to make use of the best of all RD500 tech. and the results are still disappointing.

J

You should've stuck the engine into a TZR 3XV chassis... Ring ding ding! ;)

Mick

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online